X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change locale from US to Australia

Hi,

I installed Kubuntu 6.10 today. During installation I would have assumed it would set the locale to Australia (en_AU) when I selected it as my region. However, when I start GnuCash, it thinks I'm in the US and this has some annoying side-effects. When I opened Konsole and typed "locale", all the settings were indeed en_US.

The System Settings > Regional & Language doesn't seem to offer any way to fix this. The country is already set to Australia, while the only languages listed are US English and British English, and selecting the latter doesn't appear to do much anyway - "locale" still reports en_US even after a reboot.

I then found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocaleConf so I installed localeconf, ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure localeconf" and went through the screens, setting the default system locale to "en_AU.UTF-8". Effect? None!

Could anyone give me the "for dummies" explanation for how to change the locale?

Thanks.

Re: Change locale from US to Australia

Have you tried : KMenu>System Settings> Region & Language>Click on Country Button>Choose Oceania>Australia
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Already did that during installation, but for the fun of it I just went and reselected what it was already set to, hit apply, and rebooted, and I'm afraid that didn't change the locale.

Comment

I just deleted Kubuntu and installed Ubuntu 6.10.

There's an option under System > Administration > Language Support which lets you change the system default language, so I selected "English (Australia)". To go along with that, there's a menu at the login screen that lets you choose between the last language used, the system default, or select directly from a list. After logging in again and checking the locale in terminal, it had changed from en_US to en_AU. Yay!

I recall there is a menu at the login screen of Kubuntu, but didn't see any language options on it. I prefer KDE to Gnome, so I'd still be interested if anyone knows the solution for Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X