X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu boots to text login screen, no GUI

Quick summary:
    1) Installed Kubuntu 6.10 Desktop version
    2) downloaded Fglrx package for my ATI Radeon 9800, followed the directions in the Kubuntu Desktop Guide for setting that up
    3) Changed Device settings and monitor resolutions (I have 2) in the System Settings, pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart the GUI
    4) Changed the monitor layouts again, pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart the GUI, but it never restarted: it just stayed at a black text-mode screen with a flashing cursor
    5) Pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to whatever you call that, logged in and ran "sudo reboot" to see if that would restart the GUI
    6) Computer rebooted, Ubuntu started up to text login

I can login, and type "startx" to load KDE, but now when I click on "Log Out..." from the K menu, the only available options are "End Session" and Cancel, both of which crash KDE and return me to the prompt.

Question: How do I reset Ubuntu to load graphics mode by default?

I've done a lot of searching and can't figure it out. I fixed it once before by reinstalling Kubuntu, but that's not a real solution. It doesn't seem to be a KDE or Xorg problem. changing the runlevel by typing "telinit x" doesn't seem to do anything.

Re: Kubuntu boots to text login screen, no GUI

Sounds like your Xserver may have trouble. In a terminal input
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    This will start a text-based wizard. Answer the questions you can. If there are any questions you don't know tha answer to then go with the suggested default answers. If at first it doesn't work try again and specify VESA. You will probably have to reload your graphics driver ...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

your code worked once but now it doesn't work anymore, i've really got myself into a bind trying to use multiple monitor feature - now i'm stuck in a loop just filling out all the answers and clicking yes and all the right settings only to have it wind up STAYING in text mode - what can i do?

thank you, and users like you should put paypal buttons so we can chip in and give back...

Comment

you say it works if you type startx.

if that is so then it seams your xconfig is ok. Try
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
        That should restart the kdm manager if you are running Kubuntu if running ubuntu change kdm to gdm.

if it does not start send me the file /var/log/Xorg.log.0 this will help me to find your actual problem.....

Comment

Working...
        X