This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root?

While trying to run things or edit things, i get told that i don't have permission rights and that i need to be root. How do I turn myself into root. It's my damn computer!

Example, trying to execute powernowd from terminal
    ant2ne@ant2ne-laptop:~$ powernowd
    powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v0.97, (c) 2003-2006 John Clemens
    Go away, you are not root. Only root can run me.
    ant2ne@ant2ne-laptop:~
    $

Is there some way to set myself up with godly powers? or do I need to open the terminal in a special way? or what ?
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: root?

Try putting sudo in front of the command. It puts you temporarily into the role of root.

Comment

For future reference:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

If you mucked around like I did and set up your system as "super user", only to find hard drive partitions and your favorite music set with "root" permission, here's what I did. Use Adept Manager to install Krusader -- it is a filemanager that looks similar to the old Windows 3 File Explorer. When it is installed, it ends up in two places -- the "Red Krusader" is in your KMenu>System folder, and runs with root privileges. The "Blue Krusader" is in your KMenu>Utilities folder, and runs with your user privileges.

So, if you run Red Krusader once, and right-click on any folder that is giving you a permission problem, you can click "properties" and then "Permissions", and then set the permissions for that folder and all sub-folders and files for Ant2ne to read and write. Once you've fixed your problematic folders and files, you should be able to install and move things around as yourself (normal user) and not have to be the super user just to access your stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          If you mucked around like I did and set up your system as "super user", only to find hard drive partitions and your favorite music set with "root" permission, here's what I did. Use Adept Manager to install Krusader -- it is a filemanager that looks similar to the old Windows 3 File Explorer. When it is installed, it ends up in two places -- the "Red Krusader" is in your KMenu>System folder, and runs with root privileges. The "Blue Krusader" is in your KMenu>Utilities folder, and runs with your user privileges.

So, if you run Red Krusader once, and right-click on any folder that is giving you a permission problem, you can click "properties" and then "Permissions", and then set the permissions for that folder and all sub-folders and files for Ant2ne to read and write. Once you've fixed your problematic folders and files, you should be able to install and move things around as yourself (normal user) and not have to be the super user just to access your stuff.
          Alt+F2 and type in

Code:
          kdesu konqueror
          Same abilities, less installation.
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Also note that you should not change permissions/ownership of system folders/files (basically everything outside your $HOME directory) unless you're *absolutely* sure you know what you're doing (and even then it's usually a bad idea )

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

I Installed it but I can't find the red one. I found the blue one and the program is installed.

Comment

Working...
              X