This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800Mhz?

The ever so interesting Ksysguard Performance Monitor says I have 2 cpuss at 800 mhz each. Advertised to me was the 1.6Ghz core dua. I was under the impression that I have to CPUs at 1.6G each. Something is screwy.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: 800Mhz?

Hmmmmmmmmmm -- that is suspicious!

I have an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, which has a nominal 2.93GHz speed. In my Windows partition, using XP and the Intel BIOS utility, I have overclocked my CPU to 33GHz. In both KSysgard and also the KInfo utility, it shows both CPUs, and the 3300 MHz speed correctly. So, if I were you, I would at first be more suspicious of my hardware than of Kubuntu. Can you check it with Windows, using CPUZ or something like that?

Comment

BIOS says...
      Processor ID 06E8
      Current Clock Speed 1.6
      Nin Clock Speed 800
      Max Clock Speed 1.6
      Dual Core Present = Yes
      I suppose I could underclock it to 800 Mhz. But why?

CPU-Z in Windows says...
      Core Speed 1596 MHZ
      Cores 2
      That is a nifty little program =)

But nither those lists individual clock speeds for each CPU. Which it souldn't, because the two CPUs are set by the same clock. Suspecting a bug in Ksysguard Peformance, Is there a different linux program that I could download that is similar to CPU-Z so that I can check the clock speed in that OS? Either way, there is a bug in Kysysguard or the Linux OS. To who should I report this bug?

Comment

Try conky
        http://conky.sourceforge.net/

Comment

think it could be powernowd? This program claims to control CPU speed and Voltage. Interesting. I think I'll figure out how to run powernowd.

Comment

Off-topic:
            Originally posted by dibl
            ...I have overclocked my CPU to 33GHz...
            Now that is impressive...

Comment

Thanks James.

Hmmmmmm --- did I omit a decimal point there somewhere ?

Actually, I uploaded a screenshot from my Edgy setup about a month ago -- it is in the "Image Gallery" above, if you want to see what KSysguard looks like with a dual core CPU. It's the one called "Beryl Viewport #1". Unfortunately, Beryl doesn't seem to want to live with Feisty yet, at least not on my system -- the Adept Manager gives me a "Break" message, and so does Synaptic, so I think I'm waiting for Feisty to catch up with Beryl, or vice versa, perhaps.

Comment

So I kind of forgot about this issue thinking it just a display bug. Today I happend to notice that now in the KDE System Guard I have one cpu0 with 800mhz and cpu1 with the 1600mhz. When I mouse over my battery icon on my "task bar" It pops up with information about my battery and my CPUs (for some reason) and there as well it shows two progress bars. One only half way full saying 800mhz, the other completely full displaying 1600mhz. What is up?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
                  So I kind of forgot about this issue thinking it just a display bug. Today I happend to notice that now in the KDE System Guard I have one cpu0 with 800mhz and cpu1 with the 1600mhz. When I mouse over my battery icon on my "task bar" It pops up with information about my battery and my CPUs (for some reason) and there as well it shows two progress bars. One only half way full saying 800mhz, the other completely full displaying 1600mhz. What is up?
                  I think I have a similar situation with my AMD Turion 64 X2 rated at 1.6 GHz but it generally runs at 800 MHz under Linux as well as Windoze. It will only go up to full speed under a heavy demand load which happens seldom under Kubuntu Linux.

Comment

back to both at 800Mhz

Sooo... the clock frequency is adjustable by CPU load? That doesn't make sense. Would be a handy power saver though. Need more info

Comment

Working...
                    X