This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi on Kubuntu

Been at this all day finally have Kubuntu up and running on an old laptop 266mhz 256 ram with a wireless card. This laptop has had more os's on it that I can keep track of. I've got ndiswrapper ok, now need a driver that works. The link to the correct one is dead on the ndiswrapper list, the one I need is 17fe:2200 for an AirConn INPROCOMM IPN 2220 Wireless LAN Adapter (rev 01). Does anybody have this critter, I had it at one time but seem to have misplaced it. A sidebar question, will Edubuntu work on the same computer only with 128 ram? I am trying to set these old machines up for my grandkids to use, start em young one of them is 2 and the other is 5. Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: WiFi on Kubuntu

Have a look at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L where the wireless card is mentioned several times with different laptops.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

looked at it and have it, thanks. after going through the docs trying to sort this out, "sudo lshw -businfo" shows no device, yet the description is correct, "sudo lshw -C <class>" network UNCLAIMED, and no configuration line is present. Also "sudo iwconfig" shows "lo no wireless extensions". Can't find any docs to explain what to do in this case. Also cannot seem to get the command line right to load the driver, keeps trying then gives message " where devid is either PCIID or USBID of the form xxxxxxx, which I am pretty sure is 17fe:2220. Feel certain one is related to the other. All I really wanted when I started is to make WPA work with Ubuntu Dapper then I get the bright Idea configure machines for grandkids, oh well it's cold and snowing. Thanks.

Comment

the best way to use wifi, on most any non-laptop computer really, is using a wireless access point. You use the first wireless access point to broadcast your signal from your internet, then use the others to receive it, which, if you use a switch, enables you to connect multiple devices to one wireless connection, easing wireless interference. Set the WAPs (wireless access points) to something along the lines of "point to point" or "bridge" or something, each manufacturer will call it something slightly different, just read about it when you log in to the WAP

That removes the need for any special configuration on the computer too, so it's much more reliable (not that Linux is anything but reliable of course)

Hope that gives you another method anyway. WAPs are actually better at receiving WiFi than WiFi cards or sticks are; bigger antenna and more power going through them. Any, hope that helps

WM

Comment

Working...
        X