This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost adept manager

I thought I was making progress (yea, I'm a newbie), and was trying to find an update for the Nvidia card. A forum link said it was available through Automatix, which I Googled, and understood that the automatix needed to be downloaded. I followed the instructions, but wasn't able to find any menus that were illustrated, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong version? (I've got Kubuntu 6.10). I then decided to fall back to Adept Manager to look for anything I could use, but now all I get is an information window that states as follows:"The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem." I opened the konsole terminal problem, and entered "apt-setup", hit enter, and received "command not found". Entering "apt-get update" results in the message" E: Type ' " deb' is not known on Line 49 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list"...... What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? I hate to reformat and start from scratch after getting most of the hardware working, but am at a loss at this point. Help, please

Re: Lost adept manager

Originally posted by HD_RIDER
    I thought I was making progress (yea, I'm a newbie), and was trying to find an update for the Nvidia card. A forum link said it was available through Automatix, which I Googled, and understood that the automatix needed to be downloaded. I followed the instructions, but wasn't able to find any menus that were illustrated, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong version? (I've got Kubuntu 6.10). I then decided to fall back to Adept Manager to look for anything I could use, but now all I get is an information window that states as follows:"The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem." I opened the konsole terminal problem, and entered "apt-setup", hit enter, and received "command not found". Entering "apt-get update" results in the message" E: Type ' " deb' is not known on Line 49 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list"...... What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? I hate to reformat and start from scratch after getting most of the hardware working, but am at a loss at this point. Help, please
    Judging by the error message, your sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list) file that lists the package repositories to use, has a typo on line 49.
    (Possibly a result of your adventures with automatix)

Open it up for editing with:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    and fix the error (if you can't tell what the error is, you can post the line here, and we'll have a look at it)

Comment

OK, if I managed to get it right so far, line #49 is as follows:
      "deb http://www.getautomatix.com/apt edgy main"
      Therefore, to fix it, as you suggested, does that mean the line should be deleted?
      BTW, I was trying to get the DVD player and videos on web pages to work when I ran into this situation. Any suggestions there would be appreciated, as well. Thanks.

Comment

Decided nothing to lose, deleted the offending line, and now I have my Adept Manager back! Thanks for the help....

I'm still working on getting the DVD player to work. I've installed both "ogle" and "okle", but it still won't read the DVD, so I'm assuming I need codecs? Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
        X