This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstalling/fixing skype

Ok - I installed skype on my system using the pre-built deb package.
    Note: This problem is with kubuntu not skype - bear with me.

Now there are several "problems" here from the perspective of a windows user:

1 - double clicking a .deb doesn't actually run the thing - it opens it in an archiver. Not exactly intuitive when you're trying to install something.

2 - Once I'd found the install function, I ran it - and got a console come up. At the bottom it said "press x to exit" - which isn't very useful - it didn't actually tell me if it was installedl, just unpacked. If I've never used it before how am I supposed to know that that is successfully completed?

Anyway, having run the thing I couldn't tell that it'd been installed - as I said, no feedback. So I ran it again. Same thing. Did it a third time - still nothing. I Take a more thorough look around and sure enough, it's installed. Nice of kubuntu to tell me. :-?

Except that now, a few boots later I'm noticing a couple of problems:
    a) THREE copies of skype start up when I load up kubuntu - how do I uninstall 2 of them? I have no idea how these things work in linux. I can't see anything in the package manager thing.
    b) I don't want the remaining copy of skype to be starting when I boot - what do I need to edit to fix this?

Re: Uninstalling/fixing skype

there are several "problems" here from the perspective of a windows user
    Linux is not Windows, Windows is not Linux.
    double clicking a .deb doesn't actually run the thing
    Double clicking is a Windows thing, Linux is single clicking.
    it opens it in an archiver. Not exactly intuitive when you're trying to install something.
    You've gone past the easy Linux way. When you download a .deb RIGHT click on it ONCE, choose Kubuntu Package Menu>Install Package.
    I'm noticing a couple of problems:
    a) THREE copies of skype start up when I load up kubuntu - how do I uninstall 2 of them?
    Do you mean the little green buttons at the bottom? RIGHT click on each and choose "Close". If you close them I think, though I may be wrong, that the program will not start at boot - the file isn't in .kde/Autostart
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Also meant to say that if you install the script Automatix from http://www.getautomatix.com/ it can download and install several useful thing for you e.g. Skype
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        there are several "problems" here from the perspective of a windows user
        Linux is not Windows, Windows is not Linux.
        double clicking a .deb doesn't actually run the thing
        Double clicking is a Windows thing, Linux is single clicking.
        That's being pedantic. I was just trying to make a point. I said Double click out of habit.

it opens it in an archiver. Not exactly intuitive when you're trying to install something.
        You've gone past the easy Linux way. When you download a .deb RIGHT click on it ONCE, choose Kubuntu Package Menu>Install Package.
        Thanks, but I'd already figured that out. My problem was that this wasn't the default option. Indeed I'm wondering if there is ANY easy way to install stuff on linux. :?

Do you mean the little green buttons at the bottom? RIGHT click on each and choose "Close". If you close them I think, though I may be wrong, that the program will not start at boot - the file isn't in .kde/Autostart
        Nope, not in .kde/Autostart, but thanks.

So anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by damnedthing
          Thanks, but I'd already figured that out. My problem was that this wasn't the default option. Indeed I'm wondering if there is ANY easy way to install stuff on linux. :?
          Yes, there is. It's called the APT package management system, and nice GUI frontends for it include Adept and Synaptic (the latter is not installed by default). You'll find a rather large number of packages available for you to install in a few clicks.

Comment

Working...
          X