X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

optimize kubuntu

Hi guys!

Like everybody here (i think..) i'm a newbie as well. I've installed Kubuntu Edgy in my Sony Vaio FE21M (core Duo T2300, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD 5400 rpm, Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 128 mb) succesfully. I also installed the correct drivers for my graphics adaptor and i even installed beryl !! thanks to some tutorials.

The problem is that i feel that the system goes too slow. I mean, i'm used to WinXP speed in my laptop and i realize that with Kubuntu it is slower (when you move windows, or you minimize or maximize them, etc, i mean in KDE mainly). Do u know how could i optimize my system? Could it be problem of my kernel version? (i mean, as far as i know it is a generic precompiled kernel, maybe if i compile the kernel for my system it will go faster).

Second point, i have read that the hardware of my system is not totally supported by kubuntu (anyway, almost everything works) but i have a serious problem with my sound card. Suddenly, it stops working. Kubuntu says that is busy or something like that. Or suddenly, i'm watching a video in youtube and the sounds disapears. I've been looking in the internet but i couldn'f find anything useful (or anything that i can understand...)

Third and last (thank u for reading). When i start my system, it always runs the fscheck (it doesn't matter if the system was shutdown properly or not) and it always finds block error in the windows partition. This means that it takes a lot of time to bood the system. Is there any way to avoid it?

Thank you very much for reading this

I'll be waiting for ur answers Greetings!

Re: optimize kubuntu

Different platforms provide different performance levels, but I read a lot of opinions that KDE is slower than other desktop environments, including Windows, on many tasks. The fact that you got Beryl installed and running indicates a pretty good graphics and X server installation, so it seems you have set your system up well.

But, the file system checking on every boot does not sound normal. I think the default setting is once ever 30 boots, so something is going on with your system, and that may have to do with the performance that you are seeing. If you can capture the messages that appear on booting, leading to file system checking, that might help understand what is wrong with filesystems.

It also sounds like the sound chip driver is not correct. I would not think that affects the desktop performance, but it doesn't help either. If you can identify the chip that is in your laptop, then Google for a Linux driver, you may (or may not) be able to fix that.

Comment

Personally I've found Kubuntu at least a fast as XP. But if you want to increase its speed you could try stripping it back to the KDE core
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core

Comment

Originally posted by _tommy_
        and it always finds block error in the windows partition. This means that it takes a lot of time to bood the system. Is there any way to avoid it?
        You may wish to disable fschecks on non-native filesystems (the win partition), edit /etc/fstab
        Code:
        kdesu kate /etc/fstab
        and change the win partition line to end with '0 0' (instead of '0 1' or '0 2')

Comment

Seems to me that the kde-desktop package and the standard packages install a bunch of stuff in an attempt to "cover all the bases" for most common uses of the system. Making sure you don't have anything unnecessary running would be a big help. For example, there's no need to run the printing system if you don't have a printer,etc.

Comment

Working...
          X