This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is my version generic and not i386?

I installed kubuntu yesterday and after many updates restarted. In the GRUB boot menu I now have 2 different kernels of ubuntu, both are called "generic". My friend who also has kubuntu installed says he only has the option to boot a kernel with "i386" in it. Is there a difference between the two? Is generic worse than i386 and should I reinstall?

Btw, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and i'm running the i386 version of Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft.

Thanks

Re: Why is my version generic and not i386?

I think I'm right in saying i386 is something to do with microprocessor architecture.

If I go to Konsole and input uname -a I get:
    Linux dennis-desktop 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

So I have i686 which is a Pentium 4HT so mine is best.

Should you not use the kubuntu-6.10-desktop-amd64.iso? By the way I'm no expert!

Comment

I just found out that the i386 kernel is the 'legacy' version and therefore outdated by the 'generic' one (although both still work).

I wasn't sure whether to use the 64bit version as i've read on a few forum posts that it's less stable than the i386 version and some programs e.g. Flash, don't work properly.

Comment

The generic kernel is running great on my Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 CPU. It sees both CPUs, recognizes that I have it a bit overclocked, and seems to take advantage of all the features that my system has available. Except it only recognizes 3.2G of my 4G of RAM.

The information on this page seems to indicate that only AMD 64-bit CPUs would use the 64-bit kernel -- all other CPUs should go with the generic desktop kernel, formerly known as "i386):

http://osmirrors.cerias.purdue.edu/p.../kubuntu/edgy/

Comment

An explanation about the generic kernel:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/019983.html
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
          X