This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

win me over from vista?

I need help to switch please. This won't be easy Please answer all questions if you can, thank you!

What is the method I must do to get the absolute closest possible font quality overall to Vista? I only heard of this method.... link which I've tried and did nothing. Perhaps someone knows a better solution, and suggested settings including actual fonts?

What is the nicest possible theme close to Vista's quality design? I've heard of GNOME look, but was unable to find such a theme to be honest. I'm picky lol.

Is there any necessary tweaking needed to be done to the networking part to enhance performance and speed? Just curious, because I had to tweak the TCP/IP back in XP days.

Free open source software for linux. Where can I find the *best* quality linux software out there? I've come across endless free open source windows software, but not much linux. Yes, I've Googled but I want your master suggestions and sites Thank you

Let's see who will help me to safely, humbly and peacefully switch to Linux. Who will win me over on this forum? I am very satisfied with Vista, but I am willing to try linux if it is overall better in terms of security, performance and whatever else makes a man happy on his laptop

Considering I need to be won over, maybe you techs can help me on my problem here as well

Anything you suggest on top of the above to keep me seated in Linux and not run back to Vista?

My System Specs If Needed:

Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo / Centrino
    15.4" WXGA Widescreen 1280x800
    2GB Memory
    120GB Drive: Vista Ultimate with 10GB New Linux Partition Waiting

Re: win me over from vista?

Forgive me if I seem a little short in my answers, it's 1am and I got 5 hours sleep last night.
    Originally posted by Chadi
    What is the method I must do to get the absolute closest possible font quality overall to Vista? I only heard of this method.... link which I've tried and did nothing. Perhaps someone knows a better solution, and suggested settings including actual fonts?
    Personal opinion, but I think Linux renders fonts better than any version of Windows I've seen. Differently, yes, but better - now going back to Windows makes fonts look plain ugly.

What is the nicest possible theme close to Vista's quality design? I've heard of GNOME look, but was unable to find such a theme to be honest. I'm picky lol.
    If you're running Kubuntu, you'll stand a better chance at KDE-look.org. There seem to be lots of Vistalikes there. But if you want an OS that looks exactly like Vista, I hate to say it but your best bet is (by definition) Vista.

Is there any necessary tweaking needed to be done to the networking part to enhance performance and speed? Just curious, because I had to tweak the TCP/IP back in XP days.
    Not that I'm aware of.

Free open source software for linux. Where can I find the *best* quality linux software out there? I've come across endless free open source windows software, but not much linux. Yes, I've Googled but I want your master suggestions and sites Thank you
    Kubuntu uses a system called "repositories". It means you run a program on your computer called Adept (or Synaptic or Aptitude or apt-get... and so on, enjoy the choice) which gives you access to over 20,000 packages, installing them is as easy as clicking a few buttons. Some of those packages are just little C++ libraries for doing some obscure thing to a data structure nobody uses, and some of them are fully-fledged multimedia editing suites or media players or... you get the picture.

Anything you suggest on top of the above to keep me seated in Linux and not run back to Vista?

My System Specs If Needed:

Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo / Centrino
    15.4" WXGA Widescreen 1280x800
    2GB Memory
    120GB Drive: Vista Ultimate with 10GB New Linux Partition Waiting
    From my own experience, 10GB isn't going to be enough - not from lack of disk space but psychologically, knowing that most of your drive is Windows' domain means that you won't ever feel the need to get to know Linux well enough. I lived for 2+ years with SuSE Linux installed alongside XP in a tiny little partition and I hardly used it in that time except for the odd moment of curiosity. When I found Kubuntu, I thought, "What the heck, I'll go for it" and I've not used XP as my main OS again since.

Welcome to the community!

Comment

I am very satisfied with Vista, but I am willing to try linux if it is overall better in terms of security, performance and whatever else makes a man happy on his laptop

I'm sorry to ask, but if you're satisfied with Vista... Maybe Linux is something you should play around with in a virtual PC first. Just a thought. Committing to it might be an exercise in frustration.

OT: A friend of mine was going on and on about Vista tonight over dinner. He was impressed with it's Eye Candy look and feel. I sent him this:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

Now that's not the default, but it demonstrates the possibilities

Comment

I am a newbie, cannot answer your questions but there is no need to dump vista in that I have dual boot and do Internet with kubuntu and keep vista for games (and even those games I have mostly stopped now), the problem is paying again and again for things for xp such as the vista upgrade, the officeworks and ones protection, I have a laptop runnng kubuntu only and this desktop with dual boot. What I really like is not only the price but that it is so malware free.
        every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fdv
          OT: A friend of mine was going on and on about Vista tonight over dinner. He was impressed with it's Eye Candy look and feel. I sent him this:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

Now that's not the default, but it demonstrates the possibilities
          Not to hijack this thread.. but where do I get that desktop. That is sweet eye candy! I want =) I could realy rub it in the face of my Windows Vista "associates".
          Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
            Not to hijack this thread.. but where do I get that desktop. That is sweet eye candy! I want =) I could realy rub it in the face of my Windows Vista "associates".
            Search the forums for 'beryl'.

Comment

Working...
            X