X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An introduction, a rant, and a problem: Kopete unable to connect to MSN

Hello all!

A little introduction is in order: I am a 28-year old guy from Norway who is totally new to Kubuntu, and I have only had random, beginner-level experiences with other distros: Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe and Ubuntu. Of all of them, I found Ubuntu to be most appealing to me, albeit a bit too "boring", and I kept discovering little anomalies in the user interface that aggravated me.

I have recently found out that there are two major user interfaces (if that is the correct term) for Linux: Gnome and KDM. (That should tell you how much of a beginner I am). I also found out that there exists an Ubuntu-version that utilises KDM; namely Kubuntu.

After one week of using Kubuntu, I can only say this: I am utterly and completely impressed! I am just in awe. The interface is customizable and behaves precisely how I want it to, and the applications are just phenomenal. I have to specifically mention Amarok, which in my opinion is the greatest music player out there. What a feat!

I am introducing my self because this is the first time that I have felt compelled to join and possibly, if I become knowledgeable enough, to contribute in some way to this outstanding community.

That was the happy bit.

Now for the technical question:
    I am unable to connect to MSN with Kopete. Google Talk (Jabber protocol) works just fine, and Gaim works fine both ways. I do not have any problems with Kopete and MSN on my other Kubuntu-PC.

I am guessing I am just being a complete (komplete, as it were) beginner and there is something I have overlooked.

Sorry about the long post, but I just had to get that out.

The best of days to you all!

- S

Re: An introduction, a rant, and a problem: Kopete unable to connect to MSN

I doubt this will help but just out of interest, if you open kopete>settings>configure then select your msn account and click 'modify' and go to the 'connections' tab, do both your computers have the same entries in the server/port fields?

Also, does it come up with some sort of error message when you try to connect to msn?

Just an aside, its KDE (K Desktop Environment).

Comment

Thanks for your kind reply.

Hahaha, of the two only things that I thought I got right, namely the names of Gnome and KDM, one of them proved to be wrong.

I cannot confirm that the connections are identical, but it doesn't matter now. MSN suddenly works!

Anyway, thanks for your effort.

- S

Comment

Well, I am unable to connect to MSN via Kopete again.

Here are my MSN connection settings:

As you can see, they are default, same as on my other Kubuntu box where Kopete works just fine.

I am reverting to Gaim, which is a real shame.

Does anyone have a clue as to where to begin problem-solving this? Should I submit a bug somewhere?

- S

Comment

Hi simsen
          Never tried setting up Kopete for MSN but I use Amsn which can be installed through Adept. Works very well, alot of settings/options to set it up. Just another client you can use if you don't want to use Gaim.

http://www.amsn-project.net/
          Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
            X