This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem+ laptop = problems. Help!

I recently downloaded the kubuntu iso file, and burnt it to CD. I proceeded to do an install on my laptop - all appeared to be okay. Only thing is, when attempting to set up my kppp dial up connection, and I have an error message that reads:

/etc/resolv.conf is missing or cannot be read.

I did a file search and the file does not appear to exist.

Prior to Kubuntu I had installed Mepis and installed the dial up without any problems, but decided to replace it with Kubuntu as it seems much more user friendly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Really new - and with no idea! Modem issues....

It might sound silly but I believe you you need to make a new file - /etc/resolv.conf , even though it is blank when you make it. Follow the instructions on "Creating a new file" at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=589.0
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Modem issues on laptop - does not seem to recognise

Thank you. What may I ask, am I meant to type into the /etc/resolv.conf file once it has been created? Sorry to be a pest!!

Comment

Nothing. Leave it empty. Just create it and save it.
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I did this, and it failed to work. I did a complete reinstall, and then tried again twice, and it worked the second time. It saved the file, and that was that.

But unfortunately it does not appear to have resolved the problem, as now I am told that my modem is not recognized and that it may be in the wrong location?

Either I am really not that smart, or the system is not compatible?

Comment

Re: Modem+ laptop = problems. Help!

What is the make and model of (a) your laptop and (b) your modem?

Comment

Re: Modem+ laptop = problems. Help!

Unfortunately I am at work at the moment, so I have no idea what the modem is (except that it is a 56k), but I can tell you that the laptop is a compaq presario r3000. It is a fairly common laptop series, so I am surprised to have run into issues.

Comment

Working...
              X