This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cant get into administrator mode

I have read the link and I will check that as soon as Im home. But Im abit skeptic since its not only adept that wont work. Its everything concerning administrator previligies. Like changin screen resolution, open remove/add programs, changing networkconfig. But I will definiately try this out. Thanks

Comment

Okay, so I have tried all the kill commands and Ive tried starting Adept using sudo in command window. Im happy to say that Adept seems to be working with this way of starting it. Although Adept are working properly the other processes won't take my password. But maybey the other processes works fine if a start them from command window, using sudo, i dont know.

Could it be some other solution that will work for every program?

Comment

You should not need super user/root privileges to run application programs. You only need to be super user to install programs (via Adept or Synaptic), or to change your system configuration. In the Kmenu>System Settings menus, there is an "Administrator" button in the lower right of each screen where super user privileges are required to change system configuration items.

As a relatively new Kubuntu user, I like the KControl program better than the System Settings -- I think KControl is older and for some reason doesn't appear on the Edgy and Feisty KMenu. In a console window, type "kcontrol", and you will find a pretty nice program for setting your KDE environment.

Comment

when I use kcontrol I still cant access anything where I need to be in administrator mode. Once Ive klicked the "administrator mode" button and typed my password everything goes back to the startwindow. The fact remains, the only place I can use my password is with sudo in the terminal window, where my knowledge are highly limited.

Comment

If adept worked with that approach, does sudo kcontrol or kdesu kcontrol now work?

its probably an old unix habit and not really necessary with ubuntu, but when i run the console as root, (su) and i finish, i often type exit, to make sure im not doing anything else as root without thinking. Then it exits and im in as normal user only, Sudo gives you about fifteen minutes i think where you don't have to reenter sudo in some cases. Im guessing the problem still lies with running sudo, and maybe having more than one at a time running.

remember, adept will stay as a little icon in your taskbar, make sure it is not running all the time in the background (as sudo) and stopping other logins for other apps......click on the icon and hit Quit to make sure its not ......

cheers

Comment

When I open kcontrol with sudo it works! At least for now, yesterday when I did the same thing it didnt work. But I hope this will be permanent. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Glad to hear it....remember, now you have a unix system under the hood and its endlessly configurable and highly complex.......check out some of the books on this and other sites.....enjoy the ride, but theres no rush......lots of things to learn about like permissions and files and ....stuff, heh.....

Part of the fun, even with a system as user friendly as kubuntu, is the learning /troubleshooting part......its how you learn how it all works..... you might even -ack - have to hose things and reinstall while you're learning....the person who doesnt make mistakes tho, doesnt learn too much. If its going to be your production box, of course, you dont want to take chances and you should back up regularly, but if you can you might want to run another virtual kubuntu for your trials and errors. It is what you make of it....

enjoy

Comment

I can drink to that!

Cheers=D

Comment

Working...
                  X