This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boot problems_ run e2fsck and get a "Floating Point Exception" message

I've checked for threads for this topic but can't find any.

Yesterday i bought 1024 Mb RAM for my computer. Then, as the Video memory is shared, i got into the BIOS and passed from 128Mb to 256Mb. After one hour working, the computer got stuck and i could not do anything but reboot.

In the next reboot it seems that something got corrupted in the filesystem and couldn't get into the system (even in recovery mode).

Later, i booted from the LiveCD and tried to run "sudo e2fsck -f /dev/hda1" just to fix the corrupted file(s) and i got a "floating point exception" message. With the "fsck" tool i got an "error 8" message (something about operational error as i could read in the "man fsck page").

¿Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Re: boot problems_ run e2fsck and get a "Floating Point Exception" message

this is a wild guess, but .....are you sure the ram you added is the same exact and compatible type of ram to the ones already in your computer.....a slight incompatibility in ram sticks, of type and parity etc, can wreak havoc on your system tho it may seem to work initially......first thing i would do is make sure the added ram is 100% compatible, ie the same kind as the originals......could be a salesperson error, from someone who didnt know what to sell you .....maybe they passed off a DDR-SDRAM stick when you shouldve gotten SDRAM....? or the like....

hope that helps.

Comment

Re: boot problems_ run e2fsck and get a "Floating Point Exception" message

Doesn't seem to be a RAM issue as it did work with the new RAM pin, at least for an hour or so. Anyway i've removed the pin to check that point.
      Just to update the situation: At last i could run the fsck.ext3 -C, no flioating point exception, but it did "destroyed" the partition of my hdd. Still no boot. Now my priorities have changed: i'm triyng to recover the info.

As the fsck routine destroyed my partition, it doesn't seem to be a good solution so i don't link to it the thread.

I'll update as soon as i recover the info.

Comment

Working...
      X