This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a stubborn broadcom card

I have a HP zv6130us that has a bcm4306 wifi card. However, I recently stumbled across a site (http://zv6130us.pbwiki.com/Wireless) that says my model has a bcm4318 chip. I have tried the method using the bcm43xx driver and the fw cutter and the ndiswrapper route. Neither seem to work. When I use the bcm43xx route, the card is detected as a bcm4306 but iwconfig can't do anything with it... even under root! When I go the ndiswrapper route, the card doesn't even show up. At this point I don't care what I have to do... I just want it to work! What shall I do?

Keep in mind that i'll have to download any needed files with windows and put them on a flash drive for manual installation.

Also, I got a bcm4306 to work successfully with the 43xx driver on a old mac a while ago and my notes don't seem to be of any use this time around.

Re: Help with a stubborn broadcom card

Have you seen "Ndiswrapper for Broadcom 43xx wireless chipset" at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:E...reless_chipset
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I haven't seen that site but it involves a slightly different process. I'll have to give it a try after work.

Comment

I followed the instructions and now Linux is useless. It boots "ok" but as soon as it gets to the login screen everything freezes and it slowly fades to white and then to black. That went really well. Any more suggestions?

Comment

I have a Broadcom 4318 that works great under ndiswrapper with the windows drivers. Kubuntu tried to use the driver for the 4306 but never got that to work. lspci | grep Broadcom in the terminal returns BCM4318 as the device. I would probably get you screwed up with specific instructions but I found ndiswrapper instructions for the 4318 Airforce card and it worked beautifully.

Comment

I'm already screwed up... I can't even log in! Could it get any worse than that?

Comment

Working...
            X