X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n00b Printer Help

Hey guys,

Firstly, please bare with me, I just installed Kubuntu and slowly getting used to it. I am a long time Windows User but wanting to and persisting to try and become a Linux convert.

I am trying to get my network printer which is attached to my Windows Desktop Computer with Windows XP to print across the network from my Kubuntu Laptop. I managed to install the drivers for my Printer (Samsung SCX-4100 Laser Printer) on the Laptop. My Laptop can see the desktop machine through Samba, can access and transfer files across the network but it will not print any test page across the network no matter what I do. The shares for the Printer have not changed since I swapped from Windows to Kubuntu, anyone from the network can print to it. My printer is not attached to my router via an ethernet cable, it is plugged directly into my Windows XP Box.

I have Print Services for Unix turned on on the Windows XP Box and it didn't make a difference. I am not running any software firewalls, there are two machines (Windows XP Box connected to the printer and the Kubuntu Laptop) and the router on the network.

I have pointed Kubuntu to the printer through the add printer wizard in System Settings and it adds and installs the driver fine, it just does not print.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this working? I have tried and managed to install the drivers for the printer myself (yay!) and would really like to get this working.

Re: n00b Printer Help

I'm having the identical problem. Can browse shares on the XP box no problem, transfer files etc. I get an "NT_Access_denied" error when searching for a samba printer in the setup wizard. Printer is shared on the XP box. Can access it from same computer dual booting Win98. Hoping someone can help This is Edgy BTW.

Comment

Re: n00b Printer Help

I have just finished a very complicated bit of printer finagling and I think I can help.

When you set up the printer through the GUI, it asks you for a password for browsing the remote system but doesn't keep it for attaching to the remote system.

So your printer URI probably looks like this:
      smb://servername/printername

but it should say
      smb://userassword@servername/printername

If you are using an NT/2000/2003 doman user, it should look like this:
      smb://domain\userassword@servername/printername

So I just had to edit that in the printer properties under "connection" and I was good to go.

Comment

Working...
      X