X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how do i install tar.bz2 files?

Originally posted by D1SxEyes
    but it works nine times out of ten
    Read: nine times boredom, one time tension 8)

Comment

Re: how do i install tar.bz2 files?

1. how do i install these? i have failed at extracting them. is a theme manager required? is there a thread/area in the kubuntu forums that specializes in this subject?
      These are for the Gnome environment, not KDE. Gnome and KDE are to different desktop environments (read: two different GUIs).

2. do you guys ever expect linux to be as easy as clicking and installing like windows' .exe?
      Yes. .bz2, rpm, and deb will probably all unify by 2016.

Seriously, though, in my personal experience, if you come from Windows with a reasonable request, it can be years before what you're asking for is even considered reasonable.

Personal example: I tried Red Hat about 9 years ago. I asked if/when we would ever see drives automounted as icons on the desktop, like Windows 95. I was told at the time that it would never happen, because it wasn't necessary. You know, since opening a console and mounting your devices manually was so trivially easy. (I heard that quite a bit on Usenet anyway).

By a long shot, Windows is simply easier*, yes, but if you can embrace complexity and erratic behavior, Linux is for you.

*Lots of folks will tell you it's "just different" but overlook the fact that (for example) in Windows, to install a video driver, you double-click an EXE called "setup." In Linux, you follow a link to a FAQ on the subject. In Windows, you double-click on an MP3 and it plays (yes, we all know why -- licensing, nonfree, patents, etc). In linux.... ...

Comment

Working...
      X