This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i install tar.bz2 files?

the title says it all. been searching it for at least an hour. im tryin to install this from here. i just click "binary" from the second link to get to the first. i dont even know if binary is the one to install. i just want kxdocker!

Re: how do i install tar.bz2 files?

Firstly, try very very hard not to. Assuming the tar.bz2 is standard, unarchive it, follow these steps.

1. ./configure
    2. Then fill any dependencies (normally, this involves installing the -dev packages) Back to 1, unless no errors.
    3. make
    4. Go to 2.
    5. sudo make install

This done, after a long long time, your tar.bz2 will work. ALWAYS try and find it in a .deb, or even better, a Kubuntu repository first.

D1SxEyes

Comment

You don't have to use the .tar.bz2 file. Just install it from the repositories.

Read more here:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

After you enable extra repositories, you can just
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install kxdocker
      or use Adept Package Manager to install kxdocker
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Yeah, avoid it if you can, but in general, these two links will give you an idea of what they are and what you do with em, if you have to use them......

http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwbo...rum/28145.html

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/tarball.html

the second link is from an rpm user, not a deb user, but tarballs are pretty distro agnostic, and you occasionally have to deal with them...less so in debian /buntu based distros cause of the size of the repositories of prebuilt pkgs

enjoy

Comment

i was reading the first link and did the very first thing but then it gave me this:

Code:
          troy@troy-desktop:~$ tar xjf kxdocker-1.1.4a.tar.bz2
          tar: kxdocker-1.1.4a.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
          tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
          tar: Child returned status 2
          tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
          troy@troy-desktop:~$
          am i supposed to specify the location too? i just did that cuz thats what the replier showed.
          well il try it again with location.

edit: same problem. am i supposed to place the file somewhere first?

edit2: ok i fixed that problem by moving it to /home/name first. but now i have a new problem

im trying to download this. i extracted to a location, cp that location and ./configure and a bunch of things fly up the terminal and at the very end, this shows up:
          Code:
          configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
          See `config.log' for more details.
          can i continue or does this stop the whole process?

Comment

Why are you still trying to compile from source?

Step 1: Enable extra repositories by following this tutorial:
            http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Step 2: Install both programs with this command:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kxdocker superkaramba
            Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
              Why are you still trying to compile from source?

Step 1: Enable extra repositories by following this tutorial:
              http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Step 2: Install both programs with this command:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kxdocker superkaramba
              I echo his question, but if you are determined to compile from source, you need to install g++

D1SxEyes

Comment

ack, i forgot, kubuntu doesnt come with the gcc compiler installed.....in addition, when i installed it, it took a while because there seemed to be a (hopefully temporary) problem in the repos....im using drake atm.

You might be told to install build-essential, and find a bewildering string of errors saying it cant be installed atm. This happened about five days ago, and i wish i could recall my workaround. Its known as a dependency helll, where one pkg install relies upon others to run. Apt get usually handles them but as repos change, and updates are installed there are times when it becomes near impossible to install a particular application.

Don't get discouraged, think of it as a learning experience....you can get gcc up and running but it may require a bit or scouting around and reading to find out where the problems are...if there are problems.

Same goes for the untarring and compiling....the first few tries can be exasperating but it isnt long before it becomes natural.

Having said all that, its wise to install something on a system like kubuntu from the repositories....which are the largest in the Linux world atm......some other distros are more source dependent with small repos and they design their system so people will compile .....slackware is one example. You only have about 600 official pkgs in the repo......others are considered third party and unsupported and its recommended you compile it to suit your machine from source.

Debian and kubuntu are different, with most of the system resting upon a very efficient and vast package management system.....

good luck

Comment

ok thanx. i have two more questions though:

1. how do i install these? i have failed at extracting them. is a theme manager required? is there a thread/area in the kubuntu forums that specializes in this subject?

2. do you guys ever expect linux to be as easy as clicking and installing like windows' .exe?

Comment

Originally posted by pwnage101
                    do you guys ever expect linux to be as easy as clicking and installing like windows' .exe?
                    Hopefully not - as otherwise folks (mis-)taking Windoze for an operating system (sic!) may feel tempted to overrun us :P

More serious (?): from my experience (> 10 years professional Windozism, > 5 years penguin dressage), compiling from source is never easy - neither on Linux nor on Windoze, and installing a <.deb> (read: a pre-compiled package) already equals the <.exe> experience (and, as I dare to guess, you certainly won't assert that all your <.exe> installations have been working "out of the box" ...).

Birdy aka littleDrHouse

Comment

Which of course is true, unless you accidentally download the wrong deb, and it installs itself in strange places on your system (read: the default Debian directories, as opposed to the default Ubuntu directories.). Rare, but it happens, and is very annoying.

D1SxEyes

Comment

To that, no contradiciton from my side, of course ... I just wanted to point out that (implicitly) expecting Linux to be even more "(ab)userfriendly" than Windoze (besides M$ PR) has ever been, may be considered as being irrational (at least ...).

Comment

Definitely. The debian package system is very well thought through, especially if you're using standard repositories for your distro. I was just trying to point out that it does matter sometimes if you download a .deb intended for Debian rather than Ubuntu.

D1SxEyes

Comment

Originally posted by D1SxEyes
                            if you download a .deb intended for Debian rather than Ubuntu
                            Tz, tz, tz, bad boy

Comment

Well, sometimes, Ubuntu packages aren't available, and compiling's just a pain in the proverbial, and it's just easier and quicker to download the debian package. I know you shouldn't, but it works nine times out of ten.

D1SxEyes

Comment

Working...
                              X