This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Books Galore!

Here are lots of linux books that are downloadable.

http://www.sirdaz.com/lin/

Re: Linux Books Galore!

I've seen such a link before. Links to "The Official Ubuntu Book" and "Ubuntu Hacks , Tips and Tools" just DON'T WORK
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

it does work but you have to have xchm to read it......check out the chm format on google, download some pkgs.....and enjoy.....

Comment

True, sorry forgot to tell you that you need to do a
        sudo apt-get install xchm to read some of the files, :P

Comment

There's KChmViewer in the repos for viewing CHM files.

I do hope that these books are legally free/acquired. Some titles are familiar and are available freely, although I can't remember if they're in CHM format or PDF. Thanks for sharing anyway.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
            There's KChmViewer in the repos for viewing CHM files.

I do hope that these books are legally free/acquired. Some titles are familiar and are available freely, although I can't remember if they're in CHM format or PDF. Thanks for sharing anyway.
            I also hope that they are legally free, and from what I understand they are. Yes I'm trying to share with my fellow Kubuntu users but just for the record I am in no way associated with the website, just "stumbled" across it and brought it here on the heel of my shoe.

Comment

Idid a quick and by no means comprehensive check on whether the recently released kubuntu books are legal downloads. One at least is released thru creative commons which in this instance means its free for non commercial use. Which is helpful since I dont have many options here to get ahold of new book releases where i am...

some will say that Creative Commons licenses are not gpl compatible since creative commons license is allowed to specify whether the book can be changed, whether you can insist the authors name be kept on it, whether you can use it for commercial purposes or not.....having said that, Creative Commons is generally more sensible for books, articles, art works etc, while the GPL was designed for software. SO a strictly adherent free system like Debian may refuse to include a package licensed under CC...cause its not 150% free. But for book downloads its a boon and Im glad the authors decided on using it. Won't stop me from buying the book in hardcopy just cause i have a pdf i need to read on computer.

You might wanna look at the creative commons page......its very open source minded and an alternative to all the prohibitions in most publishing copyrights.....for you as the reader, the book is free. You'll notice for Knoppix hacks for example it isnt available there, and iirc, it has a standard copyright prohibiitng the copying that the Ubuntu book allows.....

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X