X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup problems from a Linux newb...

Hey, guys.

After a botched Ubuntu installation (I think the installer just didn't like my system or something...) I switched to Kubuntu without a hitch. The KDE is pretty intuitive for an ex-Windows user, and I haven't had many problems. Emphasis there is on "many".

See, I do have two minor problems. First, my internet connection is dependent on a D-Link wireless connection. Ndiswrapper should fix that, but Kubuntu uses "imake" instead of the build-essential "make" command, and it seems to work a little differently, making it a pain to install it. How do I make this work?

Secondly, the max resolution I'm able to go to is 1024x768. How do you raise that? I'm used to running in 1200x900.

Re: Setup problems from a Linux newb...

I don't know why are you talking about make or imake here.

To install ndiswrapper, please follow this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ndiswrapper%29

If you are trying to compile it from source, and you have a good reason (I mean not that you don't know that it can and should be installed using adept or apt-get , please post the exact error message that you had.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSeth
      How do I make this work?
      http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html (?)

Comment

The resolution can be changed by editing etc/x11/xorg.conf as root. Make a backup of this file! Then edit the "Screen" section. It usually looks something like this:
        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV36.2 [GeForce FX 5700]"
        Monitor "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        Just add "1200x900" to the modes part in the appropriate depth section, depth being number of bits holding color information (your hardware may say it supports 32 bit, but only 24 of them are used to hold color information, so 24 is max). But your display must support the given resolution. But you probably know this Hope this helps.

Comment

Okay, so I've been trying to get it working... and I can't figure it out. How do I log on as root? `Cause as the base user account, I can't even install things in the filesystem.

Comment

MrSeth

I'm extremely new to this but I haven't seen an answer from someone with any knowledge yet, so -
            try adding sudo in front of the command. Ubuntu or Kubuntu doesn't use the root login. It lets you sit in that role to perform functions like installations. Hope it helps.

Calnerd

Comment

Hey MrSeth,
              To edit that file as a root you can run the command "kdesu kate" (K-menu -> Run command -> "kdesu kate"), you will be prompted to type in your password. In Kate go File -> open and type etc/x11/xorg.conf. Kate should backup your file automatically when you modify it (the name of the backup should be etc/x11/xorg.conf~). Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
              X