Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreamlinux Questions(I cannot use Dreamlinux forums)Please Help!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamlinux Questions(I cannot use Dreamlinux forums)Please Help!!!!

If anyone has experience with dreamlinux please help. I need to partition my hard drive. I tried to use the Gnome Partition editior but when I used it it had an error. do i need to to change my windows partition to file system fat32 it is currently NTFS. and will this effect my windows programs/files? I need your help. also will linux apps run on all linux opperating systems?

Re: Dreamlinux Questions(I cannot use Dreamlinux forums)Please Help!!!!

I have Dreamlinux installed on an old machine. (It might have been better to put this on a generic Linux forum rather than Kubuntu...)

Have you seen the official Dreamlinux tutorial "Partitioning HDD and installing Dreamlinux" at http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english...d_install.html ?

No you don't need to change your Windows partition to Fat32. That would involve formatting and would wipe your Windows. You just need to Shrink Windows and make a space for Linux to go into.

If you can watch short videos then look at "Dual-booting Windows and Linux the easy way (Linux.com videos)" on http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/20/1654251

An easier way still to dual boot is to get another hard drive and install Linux on that. Windows stays intact on hda and Linux goes quietly to hdb.

"will linux apps run on all linux opperating systems?" Hmm. Dreamlinux like Xubuntu is a lightweight distro. OK Dreamlinux has (say) OpenOffice which is a fairly heavyweight app. There seems little point in installing heavyweights on lightweights because the effect will be lost.

My experience on Dreamlinux, so far, is that the publicity is glossier than the reality.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
    X