X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install blank screen

Hi,

I'm trying to install 6.10 from a CD I burned.

It loads, I select "Run or install Kubuntu", the first option. The Kubuntu logo comes up and the loading bar goes back and forth. When it finishes, the screen goes blank.

If I wait a while, and hit enter a few times, I get a Kubuntu login screen - to login to the live cd version I guess. I don't know the password, and that's not really what I want anyways, I want to install.

Anybody know why I should be able to see the login screen, the main menu and the loading screen, but not whatever I'm missing in between?

Thanks

Re: install blank screen

I don't know if I am any help, but seeing nobody else has answered, I'll give it a try
    Your problem is definitely weird. When you boot from live cd and select "run or install kubuntu" after loading it should put you straight to the desktop without asking for password. Do you have any other linux distro installed? Maybe it's a faulty cd. You could try to check if the iso file downloaded ok via the md5sum - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    If the file is okay, try to burn it once more.

Comment

I had a similar problem on installing. I downloaded and burned the Edgy Eft Alternate CD and it installed just fine.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I am installing (or trying to) install over a current Debian installation. I'd prefer to format during installation, rather than formatting and then installing, but maybe I'll try formatting first.

I actually burned the CD a while ago, so I don't remember exactly which iso I downloaded. I tried testing the CD for errors, and it found none, but I will try downloading again and reburning to see if that helps.

Comment

Just wanted to come back to this thread.

Surprisingly, I think it was the monitor. I wouldn't have thought the monitor could have affected things like that. But, I used the alternate CD, isntalled, everything went good, but then when I reset, blank screen. I connected the tower to my monitor (slightly more modern than my roommates byzantine contraption), installed, and it's going fine. Never asked for me for what resolutions were available on install - that was the first sign something different was happening.

So, if you're reading this thread that you found on a search - try changing your monitor.

Comment

that can't be the end of it, there is a way around. there has to be

I was trying to use the ubuntu, with gnome, on my computer, and i got the blank screen as well. i found this to work:

press crtl-alt-f1, it will brind up the command prompt screen

type: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

scroll down and modify these lines:
            when you see the "LOAD "dri" line under modules, put a # sign on the beginning of that line
            scroll down to HorizSync and change the numbers to 58-62
            under that, change VertRefresh to 75-117
            Also, find default display depth and change 24 to 16

press ctrl+o, then hit enter saving the file

THIS PART WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR KUBUNTU
            type: sudo killall -HUP gdm

REMEMBER, THAT LAST LINE IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT FOR KUBUNTU!
            I still don't know what that last line will say, but I'd imagine changing "gdm" to "kdm" i think it would work. but when I tried, it didn't.

anybody else have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ttb
              So, if you're reading this thread that you found on a search - try changing your monitor.
              You can always try running:
              Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
              to reconfigure the X-server, and giving the correct values for your monitor/setup (sometimes the monitor might not be correctly detected, which can prevent the X-server from starting, and leaving you to the command line.

If you know what/how to edit xorg.conf, you can do it manually too, like 'insert cool name' suggested, but reconfiguring with 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' is often safer, if you're unsure.

Originally posted by insert cool name
              scroll down and modify these lines:
              when you see the "LOAD "dri" line under modules, put a # sign on the beginning of that line
              scroll down to HorizSync and change the numbers to 58-62
              under that, change VertRefresh to 75-117
              Also, find default display depth and change 24 to 16
              These settings (especially the Sync and Refresh rate ranges) are monitor specific, using incorrect values may break your monitor, so check your monitor documentation for the ranges supported by your monitor.

Also, you may not need to disable 'dri' to get it to work, try changing the monitor values first (or better yet, use 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' )

REMEMBER, THAT LAST LINE IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT FOR KUBUNTU!
              I still don't know what that last line will say, but I'd imagine changing "gdm" to "kdm" i think it would work. but when I tried, it didn't.
              You can start kdm (and the x-server) with:
              Code:
              sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
              if it's not running (it shouldn't be if the configuration was faulty), or
              Code:
              sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
              if it is running (for some reason)

Comment

Working...
              X