This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing second distro

I have XP installed on hda and Ubuntu on hdb, which is only 20 gigs. The reason for having Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu is that I could configure and use my wireless card without problem using Ubuntu whereas Kubuntu recognises the card but will not configure it. Elsewhere on this site I've found what I have to do but I do need the internet to do it.
    My questions are, if I install Kubuntu on hdb where do I put grub - on hda or hdb? Can it differentiate between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? If I download the files I need in Ubuntu can I unpack or whatever in Kubuntu? Any other tips would also be appreciated..

Re: Installing second distro

Why are you not just installing ubuntu-desktop, like this you will be able to choose it from the session menu on kdm login screen... Then you should be able to configure as you wanted to do in ubuntu while keeping only one system to manage with

If you don't want to do that, so you can install the new system, and install grub on the mbr, you will then be able to choose between your three os, but when you will make a change of kernel for example on one of each (k)ubuntu you will have to manually edit the grub as it can't be kept on two systems..

Cheers

Comment

Re: Installing second distro

or you can simply add all the kde you want to ubuntu and run kde since kubuntu is ubuntu with the kde desktop environment. You can then configure, if you want, your ubuntu box to boot straight into either gnome or kde......

unless im reading your question wrong, installing for example kubuntu edgy and ubuntu edgy as separate distros is somewhat redundant...

of course depends on why....if you want to test stratight kubuntu out of the box, that might be a reason, but if you just want to run kubuntu......add what you want to the kubuntu base. atm , i have u, ku, and xu buntu on the same partitions, from an ubuntu disk.......and all the configuratons default to kde,,,,,
      so it behaves like kubuntu.

I have also found that adding kde to ubuntu still seems a bit more stable given the amount of time and energy that went into ubuntu befrore the kde version came out....just a thought...

cheers

Comment

Working...
      X