This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Sawfish

I just installed the window manager Sawfish, but I can't get Kubuntu to use it.
    Supposedly, all you have to do is add this line to .xinitrc

exec sawfish

But this doesn't seem to work. I've even downloaded a .xinitrc which was configured especially for Sawfish, with no success.
    When I try to run Sawfish from command line, all I get is:

You may only run one window manager

Any ideas?

Re: Installing Sawfish

Hi,

It's because you shouldn't run kde in the same time you're trying to launch sawfish.
    Try to go in console mode (<ctrl><alt><F1>), login, stop kdm : sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    Then launch it as you did

Hope it helps

Comment

OK, here's what happened:

I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1, logged in, and did sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      After that, the Kubuntu logo appears, and then a blank screen with a blinking cursor (no command prompt). I tried typing "sawfish" and "exec sawfish" here, and nothing happened. So, I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 again to get back to the command prompt. It says "Stopping K Display Manager: kdm". I typed "sawfish" at the prompt, and got "sawfish: can't open display:" Typing "exec sawfish" did the same thing, except also asking me to login again!

Maybe "sudo sawfish" would work?

ETA: Nope, that doesn't work either...

Comment

Sorry I've mistaken, I guess there should be a new entry in the session list on kdm menu, no ?

Cheers

Comment

Well, it shows up in the sessions list on the login panel. But when I select it, and try to login, the login panel disappears, and I get a generic error beep. Kubuntu won't load after that, leaving me with only a blank screen and a mouse arrow; so I have to reset my computer.

Comment

I guess it's trouble with installation of sawfish then. I've never tried it, but maybe it's the .xinitrc which is corrupted or not valid for your install, try to remove and login to see...
            Sawfish is using gtk no ? Did you try to install ubuntu-desktop also ? How did you install sawfish ?

Comment

Originally posted by sky
              I guess it's trouble with installation of sawfish then. I've never tried it, but maybe it's the .xinitrc which is corrupted or not valid for your install, try to remove and login to see...
              Sawfish is using gtk no ? Did you try to install ubuntu-desktop also ? How did you install sawfish ?
              I don't have a .xinitrc file.
              Sawfish does use gtk, but I used aptitude to install it, and I figured it would automatically download and install any dependencies (which it what it does for every other program).

Comment

Hi,

I've just installed it and you can login from kdm...

Cheers

Comment

Yes, you're talking about the login screen, right? I tried that, and the login window just disappeared and beeped at me. Sawfish didn't load, KDE didn't load...it just left me with a blank screen and a mouse arrow. I had to do a hardware restart.

Comment

Hi,

You're right, just tried it... It did the same just one window appeared, but as I don't know sawfish, I couldn't do anything with this...
                    To kill the session, you don't need to hard reset the computer, you can kill X and it will automatically restart with :
                    <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>

Anyway, I will try to look further how to start this today.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

I don't know why but I can't find anything about sawfish install... Maybe someone know how to install it and how it works ?

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X