This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot with Win XP

I installed the latest stable version of Kubuntu on my laptop, an acer aspire 5102A wlmi, x2 cpu. First I had win Xp SP 2 installed. On top of that I put kubuntu. It worked like a charm. The installation process was straight forward and it all looked good. When I booted the pc I got to choose between either lilnux or ms os.But after I installed NOD32 antivirus on my win xp installation I could no longer boot the pc. I got an error msg but of course I can no longer remember what that one said.......

Due to my need of pc everyday I formatted the drive and put just win xp back in.
    But I really need to use kubuntu as well. What can I do to make kubuntu work nicely on the same pc as winxp sp2 with NOD32 installed?

I guess kubuntu use a boot loader similar to lilo or something, and I guess that is what triggered the NOD to prevent my system to boot. NOD probably saw LILO or the bootloader as dangerous code and prevented booting.

I have licens for NOD32 so I will not change to another antivirus, pluss that I find nod to be the one antivirus that does not drain all cpu/ram from the winxp installation.

any tips and tricks will make me happy.-

Re: Dual boot with Win XP

Hi,

I was using nod32 on a xp install also and it was dual booting well on linux, maybe you should try to install linux after installing nod32 on xp.

Hope it helps

Comment

I will give it a go tonight. Hope this works.
      Will post back here to let people know how it turns out.

Comment

Kubuntu uses the grub boot loader. It's superior to LILO because of it's configurability.

However, what you said about the AV software is probably true. Grub's partition information is written to the boot sector, which is a classic location for all kinds of nasty crap.

If you already have Windows installed, and a separate partition for Linux (I'll assume), just run the Kububtu install and point to that other partition.

In the install process, Kubuntu will install grub in the master boot sector and will very likely find your Windows partition and add it to the list of bootable operating systems.

As sky said, make sure you have NOD installed and running before you try reinstalling Kubuntu.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to run thses two systems from that drive.
        Joe<br />in Florida

Comment

Working...
        X