This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Installing Nvidia Drivers

Hi all, I am having trouble installing the drivers for my BFG Geforce 6800GT. I downloaded the drivers off of the Nvidia webside. Then I shut off kdm and did the "sudo sh nvidiadrivers-numbershere.run"

It went to the nvidia type screen and said it couldn't get my kernel source which is strange because I used Adept to download it.

Basically, I followed the directions on this site vvvv
    http://kubuntu-newbie.blogspot.com/2...ng-nvidia.html

but I can't get past the "sudo sh nvidiastuff.run" command.

Can anyone help me?

////////////edit/////////////////
    I tried it again from the beginning, and the NVidia driver installer went through and completed (i think, there was nothing like "hey you're done") so I restarted KDM and I have more options in my display settings for resolutions. However, the system settings say I am still using the "nv" driver. How can I get higher resolutions than 1024x768?

Re: Trouble Installing Nvidia Drivers

Use the script "Envy". It will find out what video card is installed, download and install the correct driver. Works with Nvidia or ATI. Read about it at http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

For me, ENVY didn't work at all. Maybe my card is too old (Nvidia Geforce 3 256). Anyway, it just did automatically what I did manually:
      1) check which drivers I need
      2) install said drivers
      3) turn on card settings in xorg.conf
      4) disable everything but command prompt until I restore xorg.conf_backup

I'm starting to think my graphics card has gone bad. Except it worked in XP.

Comment

Read this guide: How to install Graphics Driver (NVIDIA)
        In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Thank you. It didn't help, following the guide killed my GUI. I did it again with the legacy drivers, with the same result. It seems that regardless of my driver or how I install it, my system is not capable of operating with "nvidia" instead of "nv".

Comment

Working...
          X