This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install tar.bz2 file?

I am trying to install FFTV, which when downloaded appears as a tar.bz2 file. I can right-click and uncompress it and it places the fftv-0.8.3 file on my desktop. However, I cannot figure out how to install it so that it runs. I am a n00b and used to double-clicking the install or setup file. I have tried the Adept Manager and it does not see the fftv-0.8.3 uncompressed file.

I am using feisty and have my system set up so that I am constantly logged on as the root. This makes it easier. If anyone has any suggestions or answers to what I am sure is a very basic thing to do, please help.

Re: How do I install tar.bz2 file?

Originally posted by Dipper
    I am trying to install FFTV, which when downloaded appears as a tar.bz2 file. I can right-click and uncompress it and it places the fftv-0.8.3 file on my desktop. However, I cannot figure out how to install it so that it runs. I am a n00b and used to double-clicking the install or setup file. I have tried the Adept Manager and it does not see the fftv-0.8.3 uncompressed file.
    There'll be installation instructions in that directory or on the fftv website. Usually it comes down to running ./configure && make && sudo make install, assuming the required -dev packages are already installed on your system.

Originally posted by Dipper
    I am using feisty and have my system set up so that I am constantly logged on as the root. This makes it easier.
    You got the very basics wrong.

Comment

I guess the next question would be how do you use the ./configure and make install functions. I tried typing ./configure in the Konsole and get no such file or directory.

Comment

You have to point the terminal to the directory where your file is. For instance, if it is in /home/desktop, do: cd /home/desktop and terminal in going to be in that directory ready for ./configue. Lots of luck.

Comment

This page has some great info: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

especially check out the bit about checkinstall

Comment

Working...
          X