This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB Error 15

Now I am back where I always have stopped using Linux: It's gone, will not start. At booting it says: "GRUB Error 15."

This time I have used the live KUBUNTU CD to boot, so I know that the disk is there, the partitions are there.

But that's as far as my understanding go.

Is there any way to at least rescue the files; at best the entire system?

Re: GRUB Error 15

Grub Error 15 : File not found
    This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...1_002e5-errors

As to what file that is I have no idea. But it sounds solvable (maybe).

For rescuing the files. You could copy them to a usb stick using the live cd to access the partitions. Or upload them to the net.

Comment

The file in question usually is the kernel. There's a really good grub troubleshooting guide here if you don't mind getting your hands dirty ;-)

Comment

A few simple questions may help you out.

Have you changed any of the drive settings in you BIOS? Changing the order in the BIOS will change the drive address that GRUB uses to determine which drive contains the kernel.

Have you added a new hard drive or removed a hard drive?

Are you using IDE or SATA drives?

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
          A few simple questions may help you out.

Have you changed any of the drive settings in you BIOS? Changing the order in the BIOS will change the drive address that GRUB uses to determine which drive contains the kernel.

Have you added a new hard drive or removed a hard drive?

Are you using IDE or SATA drives?

Mike
          I'll start from the bottom:

The Kubuntu system is on a removable IDE drive as master - no slave. The CD is on the other IDE as master, no slave. I have two unused raid controllers. And there is one SCSI drive; I use that for large downloads.

Added or removed - well, yes and no. I did take the removable "Kubuntu drive" and installed win 98 on another HD put into the bay where I use the Kubuntu. It was when I removed that and put back the Kubuntu it would not boot.

Then, last - may the problem be that I din't remember exactly what boot sequence I have set the BIOS? I did not know that matter at all. I guess it should be one of the CD-ROM first, though, as that was the way I installed Kubuntu?

So, I'll first try playing around with the possibilities, I guess.

Comment

Mike, you were right. Playing a little around with the BIOS boot order, and I'm back in Kubuntu THANK YOU!

Comment

You're very welcome.

Mike
              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X