Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get permission to copy some files?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get permission to copy some files?

I was trying to move some files from my regular hard drive to an external for backup.
    I opened a Konsole and typed
    kdesu konqueror
    and got this message.
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device

Is there an easier way to get su permission to copy some files?

Re: How do I get permission to copy some files?

Do you need to copy them or to move them? If you just want to copy them, you need only read permission and all users have it for majority of files. If you want to move them or if the permission is set to forbidden I suggest using Krusader. It's a handy twin panel file commander, similar to Total Commander in Windows, which can be found in the repos. It can be run in "root mode" simply by clicking on an icon in the menu and this allows you to manage "forbidden" files. Hope this helps 

Comment

Re: How do I get permission to copy some files?

Originally posted by bouli
      Do you need to copy them or to move them? If you just want to copy them, you need only read permission and all users have it for majority of files. If you want to move them or if the permission is set to forbidden I suggest using Krusader. It's a handy twin panel file commander, similar to Total Commander in Windows, which can be found in the repos. It can be run in "root mode" simply by clicking on an icon in the menu and this allows you to manage "forbidden" files. Hope this helps
      I just wanted to copy them from one drive to another drive. I installed Krusader and tried to run it but got several error messages:

application/octet-stream
      Malformed URL
      file:///
      and then it crashed and gave message it caused signal 11 and SIGSEGV

None of this means anything to me except it won't run. I tried removing it and re-installing it but no change. It might be a helpful application if I could get it to work.

I am running Kubuntu 6.06

Comment

Working...
      X