This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused by an abundance of riches

Having only recently made the move to Kubuntu I'm rather pleased with myself (it can't last). It all seems to work fine and I'm enjoying the odd challenges it's throwing at me. The experience thus far has been pretty good if a little geeky at times.

I now have just about everything working fine except for e-mail. The problem isn't using an e-mail client (see subject title) but importing my Outlook data. But a few questions first....

1) I currently have Kmail/Kontact , Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird. Am I right in thinking that Thunderbird supercedes Mozilla Mail ?

2) Am I also right in thinking that there is no direct way to import Outlook (not OE) mail folders/settings and and address into one of the above without first exporting to another Windows app e.g Windows Thunderbird.

I have tried using the import "wizard" in both TB and KM but neither seem to feature a suitable direct import filter.

Thanks for any help - mail is pretty much the only reason I have for booting into Windows.

Re: Confused by an abundance of riches

There are probably other ways, but you might check out Schedule World http://www.scheduleworld.com/tg/cal/day.jsp. You can sync you Outlook there and then sync to T-bird. I have not done it with T-Bird, but worked fine with gpe-calendar and I saw plug-ins for T-bird. Don't really care to get into the genesis of T-bird discussion as I don't think it matters. Good luck.

Comment

Re: Confused by an abundance of riches

If I understand you correctly, it is very easy to transfer your emails and address book to Thunderbird. There are plenty of howto guides on the Ubuntu forum or just google. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I thought Thunderbird had a built in importing, click with one button, process for importing from Outlook. Either that, or you export the .pst file and Thunderbird reads it, again, it has been awhile since I have used either.

I now use and love (was using Thunderbird) Kmail/Kontact. In fact, it is the reason I switched from Gnome to KDE. I would say that is the best email client on Linux and would advise you to give them a try.

Comment

Working...
      X