Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I know how it feels like

... to rant.

WTH did they do to the 24.04.1 installer?
    I am experimenting with dual-booting two (or more) Kubuntu's, on one disk, then on two disks, and etc.
    Not focusing on partitioning or installing or anything else very much.
    I have 22.04 installed on a SATA SSD. So, as a first 'experiment,' I went to install 24.04 on that same SSD, in the available space at the end of the disk, right? NBD.
    Simply use my existing ESP, sda1, that 22.04 uses, right?
    Nope! Mine in 200 MB. Installer wants minimum of 300 MB. NOW I recall seeing you guys do some ranting about that.
    There is no way I can expand my ESP to 300 MB without moving my 22.04-root partition left endpoint to the "right."
    No way I'm gonna mess with that right now as I am really depending on 22.04 for some work.
    So I "Cancel" the installation. NBD, right?
    Well, back on the installer live screen, my only option is "Install Kubuntu."
    There is no option I could see to exit & re-boot, or to remove the USB installer and shutdown/exit.
    I clicked right and left everywhere on that intro screen -- nada! ... had to do a hard re-boot, get into Kubuntu, and safely remove the 24.04 installer.
    It's no wonder some of the new folks are asking basic questions!
    I will modify my plans for experimenting, change the set of experiments.
    But holy cow, come on guys, let's not go in reverse here ... Why 'dummy it down' to that? Basically lost 30-45 minutes this morning, so far.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Yesterday, 01:03 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    There is no option I could see to exit & re-boot, or to remove the USB installer and shutdown/exit.
    Not even clicking on the Start button on the Panel? Doing so, you don't see Power/Session, or the three Icons on the left (Log Out, Restart, Shut Down)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not even clicking on the Start button on the Panel?
      There are two possibilities:
      (1) I was so upset about my 'bigger picture' of having to modify my experiment plan that although the bottom "Start" panel was there, my brain didn't see it.
      or,
      (2) My bottom "Start" panel was just not there.

Two possible possibilities.

So I read your comment and re-booted to repeat a live session, to test it again, so: Try Kubuntu, Next -> Next -> Next, and then a Cancel out.
      The bottom "Start" panel was there, and the notice to "Remove installation media and press Enter," and then, of course, I was able to do a safe re-boot.

It took me awhile to post back after the test because I re-booted and got a familiar issue: No Ethernet connection (wired).
      Tried Disconnect, wait 30 s., Reconnect, etc. Then unplugged the yellow Ethernet cable for 30 s., plugged it back in, and I got a good connection.
      (This is in 22.04, btw.)

How is it possible that without notice the programmer(s) decided that arbitrarily 300 MB is the size of the ESP they like?
      I mean, come on, I used to program computers in several languages. This is either none of their business, or they should (arbitrarily) pick something else, like 500 MB.
      In the future, let it be known that 500 MB is my pick.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        How is it possible that without notice the programmer(s) decided that arbitrarily 300 MB is the size of the ESP they like?
        I can't find where I saw this, but I think the Calamares devs chose this as the default so that people who multi boot different types of distros that are NOT Ubuntu or Debian can use the same ESP. Some put all of /boot there.

Also, if you just click through the warning, it will use the value you set.

Calamares is the new-to-*buntu installer, used on many different distros now. Ubuntu stopped developing the old, tired, crusty Ubiquity a long time ago, at least for non Ubuntu Flavours. They don't seem likely to port their new one.

I find calamares quiet easy to use, but then again, I've been doing so for ages now.

I've never seen what you did to but I also have never used it in a Kubuntu-like full screen installer. Most everywhere else you start it from a desktop, and it is never full screen.

They have a GitHub for reporting issues

One underreported feature, if you will, is that Calamares is easily modified, so it is not terribly difficult to edit or change some parts, and I imagine borrow setups used by other distros.

Comment

Also, if you just click through the warning, it will use the value you set.
          That would be great. I will try that very soon. Thanks.

Comment

Claydoh, yep, I was able to click through with a 200 MB ESP partition OK.
            But I do complain that some clear technical writing is called for!

Something like:
            -- POP-UP--
            saying,
            You set up an ESP. It's OK. But we do recommend a size at least 300 MB.
            You can fix this, or you can continue by pressing Next.

Anyway, thanks.

Comment

Rod Smith has an opinion on ESP size ...

Size of the ESP 550MiB in size = 577 MB

... some EFIs have bugs that cause problems with FAT32 ESPs that are under 512MiB (537MB) in size.
              adding a margin of safety to protect against MiB/MB confusion and rounding errors,
              I recommend creating an ESP that's at least 550MiB in size (577 MB = 576.717 MB).
              EFI Disk Structures: https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootlo...ciples.html​

Of course, we have all memorized this conversion:
              1 Mebibyte is equal to (220 / 106) megabytes. There are 1.048576 megabytes in a Mebibyte. 1 MiB = 1.048576 MB. 🤔 😅

Comment

Working...
              X