Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Windows boot Entry line in Grub 2.12

folks:
    I just upgraded my Linux Mint ver 21.3 to 22 by an up-grader provided by Linux Mint.
    My rig is a multi OS booting system. Prior to Mint upgrade, grub was run by Kubuntu 24.04. However, now the Mint upgrade replaced it and runs grub (version 2.12) which seems to be OK, but the issue is that it does not include a boot entry for the Windows8_OS. Also, the "os prober" while detecting other OSes, does not detect it either.
    I did some searching to no avail and need help.
    Thanks!​

Linux installs and Windows installs are not detected the same way.
    Check /etc/default/grub and make sure you see this:
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
    ​and not this:
    #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
    ​ If you see the latter, remove the # and save.
    Then open Konsole and type ll /etc/grub.d

Look at 30_os-prober and 30_uefi-firmware

and make sure they are executable. The lines should begin with:

-rwxr-xr-x

Once complete, run sudo update-grub

Please Read Me

Comment

Also check your boot order in your BIOS. You probably want to set it back to having Kubuntu as the fiorst boot option.
      But, once in Kubuntu, you will want to update grub there so it detects the new OS -- you probably still need to enable the os-prober as oshunluver describes.

Remember that each OS has its own boot loader, and very often installing a new one sets that as the main boot option in the BIOS. The other Linux Grubs installed won't know about new OS installs
      It can be a good idea to update grub in every Linux install regularly, so that you can boot every OS from any grub boot loader you have, as sort of an emergency backup if one grub explodes or goes *poof* somehow.

Comment

Thank you all!
        oshunluvr , I did enable OS-prober and cheched out the rest as you said. they were all ok as you listed. Unfortunately, still no windows entry shown in the grub at a new boot-up.
        here is my Grub.d
        marco@T540p:~$ ll /etc/grub.d
        total 156
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 30 11:32 ./
        drwxr-xr-x 161 root root 12288 Aug 4 08:33 ../
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10661 Apr 4 05:12 00_header*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6260 Apr 15 2022 05_debian_theme*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18133 Apr 4 05:12 10_linux*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43202 Apr 4 05:12 10_linux_zfs*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14513 Apr 4 05:12 20_linux_xen*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 786 Apr 4 05:12 25_bli*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13120 Apr 4 05:12 30_os-prober*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1174 Apr 4 05:12 30_uefi-firmware*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 722 Apr 5 06:36 35_fwupd*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 214 Apr 15 2022 40_custom*
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 215 Apr 15 2022 41_custom*
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 483 Apr 15 2022 README
        marco@T540p:~$
        And is the result of Grub-update:
        marco@T540p:~$ sudo update-grub
        [sudo] password for mahmood:
        Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
        Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/50_linuxmint.cfg'
        Generating grub configuration file ...
        Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.8.0-39-generic
        Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.8.0-39-generic
        Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-41-generic
        Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-41-generic
        Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
        Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
        Found Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (24.04) on /dev/sda10
        Found KDE neon 6.0 (22.04) on /dev/sda7
        Found Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (24.04) on /dev/sda9
        Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
        done
        marco@T540p:~$
        claydoh, I will try your suggestion to set back the grub from Kubuntu to see if that will work out. Will report back the result.

Comment

Folks, I have not been able to resolve this issue. It seems that "os-prober" can not detect the Windows8_OS boot line. I do remember quite a while back got a warning from Microsoft, telling me that due to long time lack of access to my drive they are going to block any further access, unless I restart some activity soon. Well I ignored that warning and I am assuming they may have messed-up the boot line of the Windows on my system. i used to log-in on my windows by my MS password to the MS Drive. Could this explanation make sense and the cause for this issue. I honestly, do not use windows at all, except when I needed to run a live USB which required me to log into Widows and set it up to boot from USB, despite this was so set in the system's BIOS. I am wondering how i could get rid of it w/o messing up my rig. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
            Folks, I have not been able to resolve this issue. It seems that "os-prober" can not detect the Windows8_OS boot line. I do remember quite a while back got a warning from Microsoft, telling me that due to long time lack of access to my drive they are going to block any further access, unless I restart some activity soon. Well I ignored that warning and I am assuming they may have messed-up the boot line of the Windows on my system. i used to log-in on my windows by my MS password to the MS Drive. Could this explanation make sense and the cause for this issue. I honestly, do not use windows at all, except when I needed to run a live USB which required me to log into Widows and set it up to boot from USB, despite this was so set in the system's BIOS. I am wondering how i could get rid of it w/o messing up my rig. Any suggestions? Thanks!
            That's not how any of this works.
            1. How one logs into Windows has zero to do with os-prober finding or not finding the install.
            2. For all their misbehavior, MS doesn't reach into your home PC and "lock you out" of your drive.
            3. If you're not actually using Windows 8 anymore, why are you trying to boot to it?
            Seems likely that you either wiped the EFI entries for Windows 8 when you installed Kubuntu. If you want Windows back, possibly boot-repair or a custom menu entry in grub can boot it.

If you want to get rid of Windows and reclaim that space, just reformat that partition. If there's files in your Windows home folder that you want, mount the file system and move those files onto your Linux home before reformatting.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks again for your notes!

How one logs into Windows has zero to do with os-prober finding or not finding the install.
              How can one log into Windows, when there is no entry line for that listed in the Grub?

Code:
              For all their misbehavior, MS doesn't reach into your home PC and "lock you out" of your driv
              ​
              It was my bad to say "my drive" in my post. I meant MS One Drive in cloud.

Code:
              If you're not actually using Windows 8 anymore, why are you trying to boot to it?
              As I said, I need to boot into Windows every time when I need to use a boot able USB or CD drive, to set it up. This is despite the fact that the system BIOS for start-up has boot priority set to USB-CD. This has always been a question for me and I don't know why. BTW the system is a Lenovo, Thinkpad T540p.
              Actually, right now I have a boot able USB that might help me to repair the Grub, but unfortunately the system does not boot from it, unless I first boot into Windows and its Recovery Menu to set it to boot from USB.

Comment

How can one log into Windows, when there is no entry line for that listed in the Grub?
                I was referring to your comment about logging into Windows with a MS ID that you said might be expired. I simply meant the issue of os_prober not detecting your windows install has nothing to do with the manner in which one logs into Windows. os_prober failing to locate your Windows install is a totally separate issue.

As I said, I need to boot into Windows every time when I need to use a boot able USB or CD drive, to set it up
                And why is that? My Lenovo laptop can boot to a LiveUSB any time I want without booting to Windows first. So does my Desktop and server, neither of which has any Windows installation.

What special feature of Windows for "setting up" a bootable USB do you think you can't so with Linux?? Again, not being able to boot to a LiveUSB has nothing to do with Windows.

And why burn a CD anymore? GRUB is perfectly capable of booting directly to almost any ISO file. Simply copy the ISO file to a location GRUB can access and create an entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom that can boot the ISO. For example, this work with any *buntu based ISO:

Code:
                menuentry 'Latest ISO download' --class iso {
                   set isofile="/iso/latest.iso"
                   loopback loop (hd2,1)$isofile
                   linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
                   initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
                }​
                You haven't given any usable info about your system, bit if you're not using UEFI, this might boot your Windows 8 from the GRUB command line console:

insmod chain
                insmod ntfs
                set root=(hd0,1)
                chainloader +1
                boot​
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 06, 2024, 10:57 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  ... "setting up" a bootable USB ...

And why burn a CD anymore? GRUB is perfectly capable of booting directly to almost any ISO file...
                  Or use Ventoy. Admittedly, you have to "set it up" initially, writing a smallish iso, but then you just copy isos to the USB with the tool of your choice, say dolphin. I wrote Ventoy to a USB about 4 years ago, and haven't had to use a iso write tool since.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

• oshunluvr
                    oshunluvr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This also....
                Working...
                X