This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tethering problem

I have been trying for 6 months to tether (with a USB cable) my phone to my desktop PC. Overall, it has been an unpleasant experience. Sometimes it works fine; other times it does not work at all, for in about 1 minute after the tethering begins, the phone drops the internet connection. I am running Kubuntu 14.04; the phone is an LG Stylo; and until yesterday MetroPCS (a T-Mobile subsidiary) provided my phone-service. I posted messages on this forum about this problem some months ago, but I have more experience now with the problem and attempted solutions.

The last 2 weeks of May I was without desktop access to the internet. June was better in that only 2 consecutive days did the phone drop the internet connection. This month (July) I have been without desktop PC internet access from the 14th thru yesterday (12 consecutive days). Thinking that the phone might be the problem, MetroPCS gave me a new phone (another LG Stylo). It did not solve the problem; so the next morning I returned it in exchange for my original phone. Yesterday I changed service providers to AT&T. I came home from the AT&T store, tried to tether, and again after 1 minute, the phone dropped the internet connection. So yesterday evening I borrowed a USB cable from my neighbor. I tried his cable this morning with the same result: the phone dropped the internet signal after 1 minute of tethering. So I rebooted my phone and tried tethering with my USB cable, and to my dismay, the internet connection has remained intact for some 6 hours. I have no idea whether tethering will work tomorrow or not. It seems to me at this point that the problem is coming from my desktop PC. Has anyone any idea as to what the problem may be?
Working...
X