This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bcache File System

I dunno, since I settled on the "leave the machine on all the time" paradigm and put all my data on usb drives and thence to an external hd....

dunno that a slow initial start would be all that bad if it truely can handle humongeous amounts of data efficiently. AND has a kind of "auto repair" system built in also.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29744...ilesystem.html

woodsmoke

Interesting. A lot of its features are already in Btrfs, which is already an option on the install menu. Equally interesting is that Bcachefs is a one man project working in his spare time. Translation: it may appear as an option in the install menu around, say, 2025.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was wondering what Overstreet was up to now. I used bcache for a project at work involving slow spinning discs, bcaching to SSD, Ubuntu host, KVM, Windows guests and postgres. I was pretty impressed with the speed increase achieved with caching to SSD. In fact we're still using that server. That concept might be obsolete with the move toward pure SSDs though so I guess a new file system was the next logical step.

Comment

Working...
      X