This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux has won! slow cooker powered by WeMO

We have met the winner and it is "embedded" Linux OS.

We live in an age where more and more devices are being run by operating systems, and are being connected to the internet that can seemingly be found all around us.

The latest of such is a Belkin Smart Slow Cooker.

As you might have guessed, the Slow Cooker is powered by WeMo, which is based on Linux and powers a multitude of other home based devices.

This crock-pot is able to be controlled remotely via the WeMo app for Android or iOS and will be sure to have an edge on other slow cooking challengers. Mums no longer need to stay at home and wait for the cooking to be done.

This functionality is huge and will surely make huge strides in 2014.

Remember everyone saying that 2013 was the year of Linux?

Then everyone said that 2014 is the year of Linux?

Well, the good news is that Linux has won.

The largest OS in the world is based on Linux, and WeMo, which does an amazing job of home automation and making life easy is also powered by embedded Linux.

It’s no longer a question of which year is the year of Linux.

Linux has been here and is being used more and more whether people know it or not.

We can’t wait to see what else is launched by Belkin and WeMo, and to see the expression on people’s faces when we tell them,

“come see my Linux powered coffee maker.”

http://www.muktware.com/2014/01/belk...ces-2014/18852

WeMo website:

http://www.wemotech.com/

woodsmoke

I think this is the WeMo they're referring to: http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/ho...me-automation/

WeMo Technologies is web design firm with offices not far from my employer's HQ.

Speaking of Belkin...I didn't learn until just yesterday that they bought the Linksys brand and products from Cisco in March last year! How did I miss that? Sheesh...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Speaking of Belkin...I didn't learn until just yesterday that they bought the Linksys brand and products from Cisco in March last year! How did I miss that? Sheesh...
      You are not alone. I just found out too. From you.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Is this a good thing or do we wait and see? Do you think there will be any changes or improvements to Linksys routers? I've used them in past.
        sigpic

Comment

There is this.

http://www.zdnet.com/linksys-wrt-190...ed-7000024818/
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Rich

Comment

I knew I recognised the name... Belkin are the company that were caught injecting adverts at the router.

Seriously uncool

Originally posted by richb View Post
            That, however, is pretty cool. I wasn't even around when the original model hit the scene but I feel kind of attached to it from seeing so many pictures! Only snag is the price, wasn't one of the reasons the original became so popular (aside from the GPL stuff) that it was both good AND cheap?

Feathers
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              I wasn't even around when the original model hit the scene
              Get off my router!

(reference, in case you need it)

Comment

Correction: it's not as old as I thought it was. I was 12, lol. *wrt has only been going for this long?!

Get off my router!
                So my equivalent would be...

Get off my dummy (pacifier?!!) lol
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I still have the WRT54G. The only reason I am not using it is that I upgraded for the N protocol. It was very reliable, never had a problem with it.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                    ... linksys...
                    ... releasing extremely commoditized and less-reliable products...
                    I've got one of those, now in death throes. After my previous modem-router fried itself, I asked around, "what's a good brand", and people said Linksys. I got a POS, with a hardware bug that won't allow DD-WRT or Open-WRT, less capable than its predecessor and no traffic totals at all, random resets, and general unreliability.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

I think this is the WeMo they're referring to: http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/ho...me-automation/

WeMo Technologies is web design firm with offices not far from my employer's HQ.

Ditto! This last weekend, while researching Cisco' "update" which forced a Cloud signup (probably as a pretext for a NSA backdoor?) I read that.
                      My experience with Belkin products (early 2000's) wasn't very good and I've avoided them. Because of that I can't say if their current products, or their "Linksys" line is any good. Anyone have any experience with Linksys since Belkin bought them?
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X