X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting LXDE development news

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1013

I am a fan of LXDE, it usually is my "backup" DE.
    As it finally moves away from gtk2, this makes for interesting stuff. PCManFM is quite a decent file manager to boot.

it is rather interesting that there appears to be heightened interest in Qt, and more projects trying it out, creating Qt versions of software much like in the olden days where there was an App-gnome as well as App-KDE, both put out by the same team.

I too like LXDE. Lubuntu was my main distro before I got my new computer a couple years ago. I hope more developers start porting to qt. There are a couple programs that I have to use that are in gtk and they look like garbage on my Kubuntu system.

Comment

I use LXDE on an old laptop. Very happy with Lubuntu. Like Kubuntu on my newer desktop rig, it just works. Very little goggling to figure out how to fix this or that.

I noticed an edit at the bottom of the post of claydoh's link that LXDE is cooperating with razor-qt. Super cool! I tried razor-qt last year but decided to stay with LXDE. Don't remember why. May be time to try it again.

Also nice to see Lubuntu will stick with X11 and then Wayland, not Mir.

Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Looks like LXDE-QT and RAZOR-QT are planning to combine forces.
        blog.lxde.org 22 July 2013 post:

In the coming weeks, our two teams will coordinate LXDE-Qt’s first release and Razor-qt’s official final release. The GTK version of LXDE will still be worked on and kept up to date with any improvement to the Qt version for the forseeable future.
        Looking forward to the results.

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

This is good news, I wonder if any users will go to XFCE though...
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Yes, this is an interesting development.

woodsmoke

Comment

I was never much interested in Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but I have this ancient Pentium-4 laptop with 512 mb ram, that use to run Mint 10 or something like that and Ubuntu 10. They both reached eol, so I thought why not try both X/Lubuntu. They worked great. I loaded both to see which one I feel might be the better choice.
              Then again I might just keep both.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
              X