This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Muon updater

I have take the plunge and installed Raring Ringtail as my main OS on my desktop. Everything is running very smoothly and been having no problems, exept during an update last week where i completely lost my desktop. I mugged around for a while trying to get it back, but in the end i had to re-install it. That was no big deal really as i keep a separate /home partition. I would normally update/upgrade via the cli with dist-upgrade, but this time i used the Muon updater. I don't know if i could blame Muon for that, but my question is, does Muon do a " ugrade" or a "dist-upgrade". It has problaby been asked before but i could not find anything on it.
    sigpic

Muon, Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center, etc all do dist-upgrade, which the preferred method in the *buntus.

Comment

Thanks. claydoh, so the only real difference is, that you get more feedback by using the terminal.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
        Thanks. claydoh, so the only real difference is, that you get more feedback by using the terminal.
        Which is why a lot of us here still prefer to use console commands for package management.

Comment

With the possibilities with running command line you can also evaluate upgrades. I would highly suggest this method in a alpha/beta OS, where you'll have alot of dependency issues.

Add a -s to your upgrade and you can simulate changes.

Code:
          sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
          rule of thumb and what I usually go by, that if a package/application is replaced rather then only removed, have kept my systems up and running over the years. Usually you might see that qtlibapplication1.9 removed and qtlibapplication2.0 installed, should be safe. That said - there could be many other issues that brake your system - after all it's testing ground software.

b.r

Jonas
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Luckily Muon has a nice GUI front end to evaluate the proposed changes before committing to the upgrade, ('Apply All' or such, I don't use an English version).
            I haven't yet found a simulator in it.

Comment

I have done a upgrade using Muon without any problems so it was just a fluke and totally unrelated i would say. I will be using the terminal in the future, though.
              And apart from the occasional Firefox v20 crash, everything runs very smooth and fast. so it looks like its going to be a terrific release.
              The only thing i have never been able to do, and not just this version, is to restart the system. It will shut down ok, but if i choose "restart", and i press escape during shutdown, it just hangs, saying "restarting system", or someting similar, but never restarts.
              No big deal, i just have to keep that in mind whenever a restart is required.
              sigpic

Comment

it will shut down ok, but if i choose "restart", and i press escape during shutdown, it just hangs, saying "restarting system", or someting similar, but never restarts.
                No big deal, i just have to keep that in mind whenever a restart is required.
                OK I'll bite ,,,,,,so just why would you want to press escape during a reboot ??

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Maybe it acts like pressing Esc during boot up -- reveals the otherwise hidden console messages?

Damn that Plymouth, anyway. I always get rid of it completely by building a plymouth-dummy package that "provides" Plymouth but without the dependencies on the other bits. Then I can remove the real Plymouth. See Launchpad bug 556372 post #16 for the how-to.

Comment

Vinny, i press Escape when it shuts down to reboot to reveal the otherwise hidden console messages, as Steve mentioned, to check where it hangs during shutdown. I am at work at the moment and try what is suggested in the Launchpad bug post when i get home.

Regards,
                    Gerard
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X