Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important Discussions: MSN on Linux and Kubuntu...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important Discussions: MSN on Linux and Kubuntu...

Who supports the union of smaller Linux distributions with large distributions?, these distributions only delay producing best quality of major Linux distributions, use the term "unity is strength"
    I know young using WLM, and aMSN when used do not especially like the appearance, but there are many other factors that could improve MSN, as the profile picture is not the same as that of WLM, has some incompatibilities in video call ....
    It seemed that much of disinterested programmers to create a good msn. THERE ARE MANY messenger on Linux: Pidgin. Kmess, Kopete, Emesene, Mercury Mess, but none are very complete.
    We can say that aMSN is the most complete, but tell me why so many MSNs on Linux if none is so complete, that is why I am in favor of the merger of some programs on Linux. Add integration with Facebook (essential resource for today). That is why lots of complaints because MSN is not proceeding with Linux! what can we do to improve the lost time and dissatisfaction of the users on all of MSN code free, I wanted to know all answers to help grow the world free "amsn in its infancy", if we stopped we had lost all credibility MSN. We are able and unity is strength We need to act fast, Linux needs greater support in the area of communicators.
    We will also leave soon that kopete "switch to something better" and just add new programs in kubuntu: (K)ubuntu software center, also giving place for programs in kde gtk, uniting the best programs in kubuntu. Thank you all. Help to promote Linux(Kubuntu) pls ; D
    Last edited by victorj; Apr 21, 2012, 03:31 AM.

Hi, victorj, you and I already discussed this previously in #kubuntu on IRC.

There is no such thing as a universal instant messaging client. There have been attempts at creating universal protocols, but they aren't widely used. Instead, the most popular services work best with their corresponding proprietary clients. The independent clients that appear in various Linux distributions have to rely on poor documentation and reverse engineering so that they can work with popular services. Getting these to exchange text messages and files is easy; voice and video are more difficult.

"Credibility [with] MSN" is probably not a primary goal of the Linux community. MSN is not a very popular service among us. I have not heard of the "lots of complaints" you seem to think exist. And if my experience with younger generations is any guide, MSN/WLM -- at least in the United States -- is virtually unknown.

Linux is all about choice. Requests for projects to merge generally go unheeded, usually because the individual developers have their own goals -- as I mentioned on IRC.

As for the Gtk/Qt bit, Gtk-based programs run just fine in Kubuntu. If you configure the Gtk style options in System Settings, Gtk programs will even take on the Qt theme and appear (almost) as native applications. It's unclear what larger point you're trying to make here, just as it was when you brought this up in IRC.

Comment

It is noticed that I'm new in the forum , but all this was stuck in my throat (without offending anyone), I use linux will look years, MSN we analyze when a teen / youth exchange system for Linux windows out, what it will do more to realize is the difference of the messenger bad, why? amarok is see for me is better than media player, KDE (4.8 ...) is better than the environment Windows 7, Libre Office (having much to improve) is almost better than microsoft office, we need less competition and more help!
      Last edited by victorj; Apr 22, 2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Is MSN still used by anyone? About five years ago I had 20 or so friends who used MSN, but now I have three, only one of whom I regularly talk to. Everybody has moved on to facebook or skype or something else. Why bother making a program for a dying audience? Also, Pidgin seems to do MSN pretty well.

Comment

Add integration with Facebook (essential resource for today).
          For someone like me who values his privacy Facebook is an essential omission.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            For someone like me who values his privacy Facebook is an essential omission.
            lol i second that one.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

My 'social' presence on the Web consists of Kubuntu Forums and two IRC channels (#smxi on OFTC and #kubuntu on Freenode).
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Talking about privacy, there are reasons I use the mail account of my very privacy, freedom and security aware ISP (xs4all.nl) and not gmail or hotmail.
                However good Google's search and other services are it all gets financed by mining any letter, word and contact you provide.
                Microsoft's hotmail might look better but has it's own issues, one such an issue exposed the depth of Google's mining:
                http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/04...us-conclusion/
                And then that little bit about tying Win8's login to a Live account, without me!
                / ~OT-rant

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  Is MSN still used by anyone? About five years ago I had 20 or so friends who used MSN, but now I have three, only one of whom I regularly talk to. Everybody has moved on to facebook or skype or something else. Why bother making a program for a dying audience? Also, Pidgin seems to do MSN pretty well.
                  Do not give importance to msn '. Here in Brazil is widely used, but of course you do not have to preocuparse with these things should be treated with developers of aMSN, Emesene, Pidgin ...
                  Talking about Kubuntu important, now that kubuntu and sponsored by bluesystem, what do we again? still have many bugs in the adobe flash player when it is running on kubuntu 32 bits in full screen, and log off in kdm bug also has a black screen, now we walk with our own legs, and have a question that is new name? Thank Kubunto we all help to grow!

Comment

Working...
                  X