Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shuttlesworth going to use Electron for Installer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubicle;

I'll concede that Chrome is based on Chromium and not the other way around. However, the "taint" runs both directions.

I do use script blockers which default to blocking all scripts. I then selectively enable some scripts, even some Google(r) scripts, to run if I absolutely need to use a particular website. That practice limits my window of vulnerability.

This does not change the problem with Google(r), nor make it more "safe" to use.

Have you ever seen a script blocker list of which third party scripts are running on individual websites? I find it appalling and dangerous. Far too many of those scripts are linked from Google(r) servers. It's not that the website designers could not build their own version of these functions, but that Google(r) makes it (too) easy to simply plug in a tool. That is a dangerous habit, In My Opinion.

Your quoted "fact" that Google(r) is a large contributor of Linux code does not make them a wiser choice. Yes, I do rely on Open Source to (partially) ensure that Linux code is not malicious, and that it does not report back to Google(r).

If I understand you correctly, you're advocating in favor of Google(r)... It is, of course, your choice, but I, personally, will not invite the wolf into my house for tea (I use a euphemism to avoid saying something which would get myself or this post banned).

Ok, I'm done stirring this particular pot.
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 12, 2018, 04:21 PM.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I'm quite aware of the apis google provide that are very widely used by web sites and developers, but this is a problem is the same with all browsers. Chromium is no different in this regard, and you can use content blockers with it.

And I do not advocate for google...I use content blockers (like umatrix) myself and I block most of google's servers on my hosts files on most of my devices (even my android devices run alternate ROMs without gapps...and I haven't made a single google search on my own machines in probably a decade). Still, I would have no problem using chromium (not chrome), even though it's not my browser of choice.

I'm advocating that open source code is open source code regardless of who writes it, it should be judged by the merits of the code, not by who wrote it.
      Last edited by kubicle; May 12, 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X