This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDevelop cannot find GCC

Tried to compile Hello World, but got the compile message configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. I have attached the full config.log (renamed config.txt), which says the same thing. Also, When I query gcc --version or gcc -version, I get No such file or directory. But gcc-4.3 is present in /usr/bin.

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself programming while still being a linux noob, but I need to brush up on my C to program embedded microcontrollers, I just need an IDE/compiler to practice on.
    Attached Files

Re: KDevelop cannot find GCC

I've never used KDevelop, since I do all my compiling on the command line. I'll try to help a bit anyway. Please post the results of following commands from a Konsole window (K menu \ System \ Terminal):

Code:
    whereis gcc
    Code:
    which gcc
    For comparison, I get the following on Hardy Heron:

Code:
    ken@vHeron:~$ whereis gcc
    gcc: /usr/bin/gcc /usr/lib/gcc /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz
    ken@vHeron:~$ which gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc
    ken@vHeron:~$
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Re: Kdevelop cannot find GCC

Per your advice, Talengard:
      whereis gcc
      gcc: /usr/bin/gcc /usr/lib/gcc /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz

So gcc really is there.

I fixed the Kdevelop gcc not found error by going to Project/project options/configure options, then in the general tab, specified the build and top source directories (they were blank), then, in the C tab, filled in the compiler command as gcc (it was blank)

Now, going to build/compile file, I get a popup window /home/otto/workspace/gnu_c/learning/hello_world/debug
      There is no Makefile in this directory
      and no configure script for this project.
      Run automake & friends and configure first?

I click on Run (automake) and then get the following Konsole error messages:
      cd '/home/otto/workspace/gnu_c/learning/hello_world/debug' && CXX=cpp CFLAGS="-O0 -g3 " CC=gcc "/home/otto/workspace/gnu_c/learning/hello_world/debug/configure" --enable-debug=full
      /bin/sh: /home/otto/workspace/gnu_c/learning/hello_world/debug/configure: not found
      *** Exited with status: 127 ***

Then an error window pops up: There is neither a Makefile.cvs file nor an autogen.sh script in the project directory.

If anyone can clue me in how to fix the Makefile.cvs and the autogeh,sh files, I would really be pleased.

Comment

It was really just a shot in the dark to see whether gcc was available. It should be on any working Linux system. I don't want to side track you if that's not the real problem.

It seems to me that KDevelop isn't properly configured. I can't really help at all with that. The kind of problems you're having right now is exactly why I use simple tools whenever possible. I'm truly sorry that I can't help you configure KDevelop.

My best recommendation is to join the KDevelop forum and, after reading the FAQ, politely request help there. When you find the solution it would be nice if you'd post it here, for the sake of those who come after.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

After fixing the gcc not found error (above) I was able to compile after I downgraded libtool from 2.2.4 to 1.5.XX. I should file a bug report about this, but I am not sure how.

Comment

The HelpingWithBugs article looks like a good place to start.

Before you report your bug, you may want to try posting in the Bugs forum to see if anyone can help with a better solution or workaround.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
            X