This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTRFS w/ encrypted /home installer crash, and sound issue

While installing Beta 1 on my laptop, I tried using BTRFS with an encrypted /home. When it started to create the user's home folder, it said it was unable to encrypt it, so it would leave it unencrypted. After I hit ok, the installer crashed. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I think I used the OEM install just because I was curious what the difference was with not booting from the live DVD.

After that I just went to the usual EXT4, no encrypted /home and it worked. I get that it's a beta, just not sure if that's a known issue? Not sure if it is the BTRFS, the encryption, or the combination that is the issue. I would have experimented more but installing on my laptop is painfully slow.

Also I can't get audio working on my desktop PC. My first thought was it was using the HDMI audio on my GeForce rather than my onboard audio. I did an lsmod, found the module for the hdmi audio, and then blacklisted it and rebooted. After rebooting I tried audio again, still no dice. lsmod confirmed that the hdmi audio module wasn't loading. I checked levels and mute in alsamixer and they were set fine. Any ideas?

I get that it's beta of course, just figured I'd ask/report.

-Andy
    Last edited by personman; Mar 16, 2018, 05:48 PM.
    "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

BTRFS installs work fine on 18.04. I suspect it's the encryption.

Comment

Same... Installed into VirtualBox and installer crashes on /home encryption

Comment

Probably happening because the keyutils isn't installed or the installer isn't doing it right.

Can you install un-encrypted, then encrypt @home and swap?

Please Read Me

Comment

There's some help here in section 8.

Please Read Me

Comment

I was able to encrypt my home directory and my swap partition using the instructions below. I apologize to the author, but I can't find where I found this stuff again to credit them. I e-mailed it to myself via webmail to ensure I could pull these up at any stage of the process. Now I just need to figure out what is going on with sound.

Step 1: Installing the Encryption Package

To encrypt your home folder on Ubuntu 17.10, run the commands below to install the encrypt software.. its not installed by default.

sudo apt install ecryptfs-utils cryptsetup

After installing, continue below to create a temporary account to use to encrypt your directory. You can’t be logged into your account while encrypting it. It will not work.
            Step 2: Create a Temporary Admin Account

Now that you’ve install the encryption package, go and create a temporary account to use to encrypt your home directory. You will delete the temp account later after you’re done.

To learn how to create an account on Ubuntu 17.10, read the post below:
            Step 3: Login as the Temp User

Now that you’ve created a temporary user account, login as that user and run the commands below to encrypt your home directory.

sudo ecryptfs-migrate-home -u USER

Replace USER with your username. Because you’re running a sudo command, you will be prompted for the temporary user password.

Next, you’ll prompted for your password.. type it. The command above will create a backup of the home directory of the account you’re encrypting and store a copy just in case something goes wrong.

Some Important Notes!

1. The file encryption appears to have completed successfully, however,
            richard MUST LOGIN IMMEDIATELY, _BEFORE_THE_NEXT_REBOOT_,
            TO COMPLETE THE MIGRATION!!!

2. If richard can log in and read and write their files, then the migration is complete,
            and you should remove /home/richard.gVz0oY6G.
            Otherwise, restore /home/richard.gVz0oY6G back to /home/richard.

3. richard should also run 'ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase' and record
            their randomly generated mount passphrase as soon as possible.

4. To ensure the integrity of all encrypted data on this system, you
            should also encrypt swap space with 'ecryptfs-setup-swap'.

Step 4: Login as Yourself to complete the encryption

Now logout of the temporary account and log back into your account. Then run the commands below to complete the encryption process.

ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase

You may also want to encrypt the swap space being used on system. To do that, run the commands below

sudo ecryptfs-setup-swap

Restart your Ubuntu desktop.. login and if everything is ok, you can go ahead and delete the backup that was created in your home directory.

Congratulations!~ You’ve just encrypted your home directory.
            Last edited by personman; Mar 17, 2018, 02:19 PM.
            "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Audio is a pain. I figured out that the issue is indeed some conflict with geforce hdmi audio, even after I blacklisted the HDMI audio module it would still load. So rather than try to use my motherboard audio, I ran hdmi to my monitor, and plugged my pc speakers in to my monitor's output. So I now have working audio. The crappy part is, I'm limited to 60hz now instead of my usual 144hz. Ah well, bit inconvenient, but I guess 60hz is ok for now.

I'll update the OP to mark it [SOLVED+WORKAROUND] or something. Edit: NVM, can't change the heading.

Thanks for the help on encryption guys.

Edit: huh... dunno what I did different. but now I'm getting audio through HDMI, but video through DVI... Tried to do it before but I couldn't make it work.

Sorry to spam this place up, thinking it might help people though. Got audio plus the full 144hz. Can mark this all around solved.

-Andy
              Last edited by personman; Mar 17, 2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X