This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief comments about available Video editing tools

I was given an old DVD of a 80's movie. It came on a double-sided DVD and is two full length (1.5 hrs. roughly) movies. I wanted to put it on my server for viewing. I decided a single video would be smarter and easier to manage than a two-part movie.

Using Handbrake (highly recommended, BTW), I ripped the video off both sides of the DVD and was left with two 700-900 MB mp4 files. The blend looked easy enough as the first movie ended with a simple fade to black and then credits while the second movie began with the same intro as the first, with an additional fade to black before the opening scene. Easy and simple, right?

While I often use Handbrake, I have no real video editing experience or skills so I tried several tools. Much of my results are effected by my lack of skill in this area, but I thought it might be interesting to share and maybe I'll learn something.

KDENLIVE: Had a medium learning curve. I was immediately able to load the two mp4 files, but it took a bit to figure out that I had to "drag" them to the timeline. Once I accomplished that, it took me a half hour to figure out the best way to cut out the two short segments. Then, the first time I tried to export the new video, I got only the second half. I had apparently neglected to indicate the entire video when I choose to export it. The full length export took over 5 hours to save and the result was 9.4GB from two videos that were 1.6GB total. Turns out the video default settings are to export to 1920x1080 so it expanded the frame from 720x480 and put black bars on the sides. Clearly, one needs a day or two of going through all the settings before using this program. I'm going to try this again when I have time to see if I can get a better result.

LIGHTWORKS: Version 14. Had a long learning curve because the interface is as minimalist as I've ever seen. Almost all functions are hidden (no toolbar) and a right click brings up a context menu with available functions. I liked it. However, it has some serious issues. Mostly, after a half hour or so of figuring out how to use it, the export function quickly consumed all 16GB of my RAM and started into using swap. The export continued although the desktop became unusable. It was clearly progressing much faster during the export than KDENLIVE had, but half way through it aborted and crashed due to lack of memory. I have to assume this is a bug and will be worked out, but admittedly since I'm working with just over 3 hrs of video the file size may not be typical for this program. The other issue I had was there is no apparent way to direct where it saves it's project folders. It creates a new folder in your home and I could find no way to make it appear elsewhere. This is just poor programming IMO and a deal breaker for me. Too bad too, because it's beautiful to behold.

AVIDEMUX: An old project but still active. I had to add a repo to install it to my KDEneon install. Directions are here. Very simple compared to the other two. Not a full production tool, but simple and seemed to be the scale of what I needed. I was able to figure out how to cut the ends off my clips and save the two file separately. I used pass-through video and audio codec settings and got a similarly sized file this time. I had to learn about something called an "I-Frame". Apparently you must start your video on an I-Frame to avoid corruption. Luckily, the second movie had an I-Frame just after the opening credits (I assume by design) so this was only a minor detail. And a big plus - it has a "skip to next key frame" button so you can jump to the next correct frame. However, when adding in the second video, Avidemux was unable to save to a single MP4 file. It crashed every time until I selected MKV, then it saved it. I ended up using Handbrake to re-encode it as MP4. AVIDEMUX is not problem free, but simple to use for basic tasks. Also worth mentioning is MKV is the default format and there seems to be no way to change the default filetype for output. A manual selection is required every time you launch the program.

CONCLUSIONS: At my level, I'm better off without any of these programs unless absolutely necessary. The command line is much better for me, but when it comes to video, you sort of need a graphical interface. Just for fun, using Handbrake I re-encoded the huge 9.4GB file that Kdenlive left me with. Took about an hour and resulted in 4GB. Still way too large considering it's a 80's 4:3 format movie. I've done a small amount of audio editing using Audacity without near this much trouble. I suppose the added level of complexity when dealing with video is the source of much of my troubles.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 29, 2017, 08:53 AM.

Please Read Me

I used the latest Open Shot version (appimage) to splice and connect mp4 files of my two trips abroad this year. It was pretty easy to use and the results are satisfactory. I did not use the fancier tools as I only wanted to get rid of extraneous video segments in order to copy onto a dvd, but I thought the learning curve was very tolerable. The one timesaver I learned was to chop up the original video (about an hour long) into smaller segments and then do the fine tuning from there.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      I used the latest Open Shot version (appimage) to splice and connect mp4 files of my two trips abroad this year. It was pretty easy to use and the results are satisfactory. I did not use the fancier tools as I only wanted to get rid of extraneous video segments in order to copy onto a dvd, but I thought the learning curve was very tolerable. The one timesaver I learned was to chop up the original video (about an hour long) into smaller segments and then do the fine tuning from there.
      Thanks for the comment. I'm installing Openshot now...

Please Read Me

Comment

i suppose it's understood that every ripping/rendering implies transcoding and every transcoding leads to a more or less perceivable loss in video quality and takes time.

usually if i need a one-file movie from a DVD i use MKVToolNix [with GUI]. it doesn't transcode the video so i get the quality and size of the original and it's done very fast.

if i need to extract an episode [cut out a segment] from a video file i use FFMPEG and its -ss and -t or -to options. again, i do it without transcoding [-c copy] so i retain the original quality and save time. AVIDemux can do that as well.

and only if i need to apply some video filters/effects to my ProRes videos and deliver them as H264 videos then i use KDENLiVE and transcoding.
        community is what will save us

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I have used the command line version of that tool (or something similar) in the past. Of course, it depends on the desired outcome whether one wants the original video or a lesser-sized one. There are use-cases for both results. In my case, I'm most often converting a DVD to a video file for local viewing but also remote viewing via the internet so bandwidth and byte count can be important. Transcoding, removing the side or top/bottom black bars that are sometimes hard-coded with the video (think older DVDs when our TVs didn't handle varying resolutions gracefully), extra audio tracks, etc., is a benefit. In some cases, I desire the best image possible so I may take other steps.

Interestingly, I care less about video quality than audio. I always rip CD's to FLAC. I believe most people would notice a downgraded audio stream before a video resolution drop. 4K video in most instances, at least in the home market, is indistinguishable from HD at the distance we typically watch TV from.

Please Read Me

Comment

i didn't get what you tried to do with those MP4 files in KDENLiVE. to compress them more? or what?

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I believe most people would notice a downgraded audio stream before a video resolution drop.
            i agree. sound is very important. and you can easily end up with a poor 4K video after a few generations of transcoding and a noticeably better HD video made without unnecessary transcoding.
            community is what will save us

Comment

Originally posted by flamboyant View Post
              i didn't get what you tried to do with those MP4 files in KDENLiVE. to compress them more? or what?
              Not really. The videos in question were a two-part mini-series. What I was trying to do was trim the closing credits off of part one and the opening credits off of part two, then merge the two files. My media server has no trouble stopping a movie and letting you resume it in the future so there was no need to have two files for this particular show.

Part of the issue turned out to be the strictness of mp4 files over other containers which I was unaware of. Randomly clipping an mp4 in the way I was attempting required a re-encoding of the entire file. Once I finally figured out the limitations, I got it done easier. Next time I'll use MKV until I'm ready to store the file on the server, then I'll convert it to mp4 and tag it.

Please Read Me

Comment

For backup a DVD I use lsdvd, dvdxchap, mplayer, ffmpeg on the commanline:

Find out what the longes track, Main Movie:
                Code:
                lsdvd /dev/sr0 |grep Longest
                Copy track to HDD:
                Code:
                mplayer dvd://n -nosub -v -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob
                only som chapters:
                Code:
                player dvd://n -v -chapter 2-19 -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob
                find your language audio track:
                Code:
                mplayer -identify -frames 0 movie.vob
                extract audio:
                Code:
                mplayer movie.vob -aid 128 -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio_de.ac3
                save chapters:
                Code:
                dvdxchap -t n /dev/dvd > chapters.txt
                Remove black bars:
                Code:
                mplayer -vf cropdetect=round:16 -ss 10:00 dvd://
                Code:
                mplayer -vf rectangle=704:420:6:78 movie.vob
                convert to x264:
                good quallty
                Code:
                ffmpeg -i movie.vob -an -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -tune film -crf 18 -threads 0 movie.h264
                low quality
                Code:
                ffmpeg -i movie.vob -an -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -tune film -crf 20 -threads 0 movie.h264
                convert DTS to ac3:
                Code:
                ffmpeg -i audio.dts -acodec ac3 -ac 6 -ab 448k -metadata:s:a:0 language=ger  audio.mka
                Than you have a x264 video, ac3 audio track and an chapter file, that can merge into some new container, like mkv.

Comment

Handbrake does virtually all of that with a fairly usable GUI. I figured out the easiest complete way to rip a DVD is "makemkv" even though I don't use that container. makemkv copies everything on the DVD. Then I can use handbrake to trim the black bars, set the quality, separate the chapters, choose which audio track(s) and/or subtitles, and re-encode to mp4.

The one thing I'd like to be able to do is rip the subtitles to a file easily, but have not yet been successful. I have a couple things left to try.

Please Read Me

Comment

Extract Subtitle

For subtitles you can use vobsub2srt https://github.com/ruediger/VobSub2SRT.
                    Locate the subtitle in your mkv by mkvinfo.
                    Code:
                    mkvinfo your.mkv
                    find id for subtitle
                    Extract the subtitle from mkv
                    Code:
                    mkvextract tracks *.mkv id:file.ass
                    thats get you a *.idx and *.sub file
                    Use vobsub2srt, only file name without extension sub or idx
                    Code:
                    vobsub2srt filename
                    Than you have a subtitle srt file.

Comment

OT, but I had a flash of brilliance a few days back -

Code:
                      alias convertavi="for i in *.avi;do ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:v libx264 -crf 14 -preset slow -c:a aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 "${i%.*}.mp4";done"
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Pretty sure, that as you've written that alias, it won't work. The alias will include only this:

alias convertavi="for i in *.avi;do ffmpeg -i "

All after the second quote will result in a parsing (?) error.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Might need some single quotes in there?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Parka Boy View Post
                            For subtitles you can use vobsub2srt https://github.com/ruediger/VobSub2SRT.
                            Locate the subtitle in your mkv by mkvinfo.
                            Code:
                            mkvinfo your.mkv
                            find id for subtitle
                            Extract the subtitle from mkv
                            Code:
                            mkvextract tracks *.mkv id:file.ass
                            thats get you a *.idx and *.sub file
                            Use vobsub2srt, only file name without extension sub or idx
                            Code:
                            vobsub2srt filename
                            Than you have a subtitle srt file.
                            Awesome, thanks!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              Pretty sure, that as you've written that alias, it won't work. The alias will include only this:

alias convertavi="for i in *.avi;do ffmpeg -i "

All after the second quote will result in a parsing (?) error.
                              The alias would usually run all the way to the done, but $i will be evaluated at the time of the alias definition. The first time the alias is defined, this will likely be blank, and ffmpeg will give an error trying to process a file called -c:v. If the alias is defined again, $i may now set to *.avi and convertavi will now have *.avi in its definition and might actually process an avi file. If there was one such file, and it has no spaces in it's name, it might seem that the alias worked as intended.

As oshunluvr suggests, alias definitions should almost always use single quotes around the contents:
                              Code:
                              alias convertavi='for i in *.avi;do ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:v libx264 -crf 14 -preset slow -c:a aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 "${i%.*}.mp4";done'
                              Even if there's no other quotes in the alias, $ and other expansions occur inside double quotes, so using them in an alias definition is treacherous.

This is a nuisance if one wants single quotes, aka apostrophes, in the alias. There's a few ways around this; the one I can remember is replace them with '"'"', that's single, double, single, double, single. f.ex.
                              Code:
                              alias foo='echo "I don'"'"'t like Mondays"'
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X