This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cairo Dock running 17 instances

I'm having trouble with Kubuntu. It gives system error messages on bootup and then hangs and has to shut off with power button. Syslog contains Oops errors. I showed it to people at Linux meetup, and we all agree it is focusing on the video driver, which should be nvidia and is system driver nouveau.

I went in to make sure the nvidia drivers are installed and blacklist nouveau. But something is also going on with Cairo Dock. Cairo dock always gets tainted downstream. Cairo mostly is high end graphics; it could be caught in or cause a graphics driver issue. In my Mint install, which is on other HD, same computer, also was using the wrong driver, pgrep cairo yields one process. In Kubuntu, this yields 17 processes. I killed all 17 of them and cairo dock died and the system hasn't crashed yet, which was the point. I was hoping stopping Cairo would avoid overstressing the system long enough to fix the driver issue if that's what the problem is.

But Cairo dock is also loading strangely. First it loads half of one instance, then it appears to run two more, so it ends up looking as if either multiple instances are running or it has a shadow. What is the cause of so many instances running at once, and how fix? Online I find only issue with 2 instances running at once, occasionally as many as four instances.

Thanks!
Working...
X