Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix on Linux - Pipelight works well!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix on Linux - Pipelight works well!

Netflix relies on Silverlight for DRM protection, and, as we know, Silverlight is MS only, and Moonlight is a couple of versions behind, and therefore not usable for Netflix.

A few workarounds are possible

1) Run Windows in a VM, and run Netflix there. If you have a fast machine, it works well.

2) Run a Windows browser in WINE. That sort of works. (This appears to be what the Netflix Desktop package in the Canonical repository does.)

However, those enterprising coders are brilliant in their efforts to simplify. Some years ago, when driver support was lacking in Linux, NDIS Wrapper was used to run Windows wireless card drivers on Linux. It worked quite well.

The same idea is being done now for Silverlight with a browser plug-in called Pipelight. Pipelight runs only Silverlight (not the whole browser) on a specially patched version of WINE, allowing your native Linux browser access to the Silverlight decoder. Slick idea! (The plugin will run other Windows tools like Flash and Shockwave and a few others as well).

I tried it last night on my recently upgraded 14.04 installation. Works fine! I used Firefox 29, but I understand that it will work with Chrome as well (though I have not tried it yet).

One does have to install another extension - uacontrol - so that Firefox will 'lie' to the Netflix website, as otherwise even with Silverlight enabled, Netflix will just not send a stream to a Linux browser. There are two ways to get your browser to 'lie' -- either globally, or per website. I chose 'per website', and that requires inputting a specific agent string. I found it important to cut and paste that string from the above-linked instructions for installing Pipelight, as when I typed them in, it didn't work.

I was also concerned that my one Windows program that I have been running on the standard version of WINE would not work with the custom one used by Pipelight. I see that both are installed, and do not conflict with each other.

On this older Core-2 Duo with an 8400 somethingorother nVidia passively cooled video card, frames are very slightly jerky, but entirely watchable. I would imagine that with a better video card, it would be just fine.

So, if you want Netflix on Linux, Pipelight seems to deliver quite well!

My thanks to the 'how to' article in the April Issue of Linux Format for pointing me to this product.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Thanks!

Comment

Just tried this. Seems to work well with a system at work that requires SilverLight. Was able to access it. A few functions posted errors but not on critical areas that I use so I think in all this is fairly good. Further brings me closer to all Linux for me at work!

Comment

Moonrise:

Seems to work well with a system at work that requires SilverLight.
        You mean some other web app other than Netflix that requires Silverlight? I hadn't thought of that. However, there is no reason why it shouldn't work, I guess.

Now, if we could just get rid of @$*# Silverlight along with Flash, and start using some standard web protocol, things would be really great! However, what are the odds of that? Undoubtedly, there will be some other proprietary plugin for DRM to replace what we are already able to work around.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
          Moonrise:

You mean some other web app other than Netflix that requires Silverlight? .........Silverlight along with Flash, and start using some standard web protocol, things would be really great! However, what are the odds of that? Undoubtedly, there will be some other proprietary plugin for DRM to replace what we are already able to work around.

Frank.

Yes, another application that uses Silverlight. I didn't know it did when we purchased it until I tried opening the web interface on my Linux system. I remembered this post and tried it and it worked! I agree, if people would just use the standards and I'm sure DRM could fit in there somewhere too.

Comment

DRM is (almost) fitting in a standard already. There's still a big discussion about it, but it looks like drm is coming into html5. There are no plugins needed anymore for drm, if that happens.
            A lot of people are in favor of this, because it makes silverlight and flash unnecessary for drm. Others are against it, because it's the firs time w3c (the standard body for html etc.) is supporting something like drm.
            The idea is (but I'm certainly no expert in this area) to make a standard api that's completely open, like all html, css, etc., and to leave it to the company to enable their kind of drm. I guess (hope) it's not to difficult to make something platform independent.
            If you google/bing/yahoo!/duckduckgo/... for 'html5 drm' you'll find a lot more about this.

Comment

Working...
            X