• Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA releases massive performance boost to Linux gaming

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...da-1722125.htm

The drivers are here:
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers#

A caveat:
    Note that the list of supported GPU products is provided to indicate which GPUs are supported by a particular driver version. Some designs incorporating supported GPUs may not be compatible with the NVIDIA Linux driver: in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available. Hardware designs will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please consult with a system's manufacturer to determine whether that particular system is compatible.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Please note the new drivers are at the moment only available as 32-bit, however there should be 64-bit beta's.

Comment

Nice! I hope this performance boost will apply on other applications too, like graphics & video manipulation and 3D modelling (open CL rendering)!

wooah!
      (1) Comparing 304.51 driver performance of 142.7 fps versus 310.14 driver performance of 301.4 fps in beta build of Left for Dead 2.
      I wonder if this was the driver Valve used this summer, that was faster then the windows machine they tested? 270 FPS (windows D3d) vs 315 FPS (Ubuntu OpenGL) If they used the old driver, there's even less use for purchase a Win license for many users!

Maybe could be the result that came with the L4D tests, and driver optimization.

thanks for sharing GG

b.r
      Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Well, this makes my decision of which brand of graphics card to save my pennies for a lot easier
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
        X