This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.amr file conversion

Sometimes I really DO just want "BIG BROTHER" to say....ok ONE sound format, ONE video format, and ONE audio/video format, all accessible by Linux, Mac, Windblows and whatever other OS needs it, like Android.

So now we have ... ".amr" which is the format used by, at least, Android, for voice recordings.

Here is the wikipedia page for it.

ffmpeg, as of this date will not make an mp3 of it but will produce a "wma" even with trying to go to .ogg, and thence to mp3.

Audacity will convert it to an .mp3.

I know that mp3 is "not as good" as ogg etc. but I needed this in mp3 to be able to put it up in the college BlackBoard system for all of the students to be able to download and play.

Anywhoooo, Audicity will do the job for all formats(seemingly) , as will ffmpeg for some formats.

If anyone has comments or additions PLEASE feel free to post them.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 09, 2012, 03:09 PM.

are you doing this on an Android phone ?
    if so their are apps that will record in Mp3

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Everything I read says ffmpeg and the codecs are all you need. What's the problem you're having?

Please Read Me

Comment

Just got home and tried it on an old amr file off my blackberry. ffmpeg worked fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Just got home and tried it on an old amr file off my blackberry. ffmpeg worked fine.
          was that a simple convert like
          Code:
          ffmpeg -i file.amr file.mp3
          or something more complex ?

I haven’t had time to try,,, yet

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Exactly like you posted, Vin.

Please Read Me

Comment

lol
              YOUSE GUYS are waaaayyyy beyond my poor capabilities! lol

a) No, didn't try to record as mp3 on the phone, I usually try to go "stock" on things like phones so that they will function at critical times all the time.
              b) as to ffmpeg, I use the front end for it, not CLI, so that may have something to do with it.
              c) I never even considered the idea of converting it on the phone! lol

So, I'll fiddle around with seeing if I can get it to record mp3 that would probably be the easiest way, if there is a particular free app in PlayStore that you guys maybe use, you might post the name for me, and others!

thanks for the great replies!

woodsmoke

Comment

ffmpeg is the way to go. I've been using it for years for mobile phone recordings
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                X