This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: coverflow

The cut to the chase on it is that when I have anything associated with Lucid on it, the Kpackagekit or apt-get says that xbmc is available but there is a "dependency problem".

If I have lucid for xbmc and smitz ticked then kpackagekit says that it can't use the repos.

woodsmoke

Comment

This is just hilarious! Two items.

A) I had xbmc installed on Klikit!!!!! but later uninstalled it.

I think that is just hilarious and kind of sad also.

Klikit had SUCH GREAT possibilities and....who knows what happened?

The problem with xbmc back then, it was, three/two years ago, and the interface was not stable, possibly because it was on a three year old OS!

When I clicked it and saw it, I was saying WHAT!!?? THIS is what I was trying to install?

I must say that the interface is much more slick than it was formerly, and it seems to operate smoothly on my system. 4200 dual core amd 64 2 gig ddr 256 mb nvidia card.

The big difference back then was that the display was on a red "theatre curtain" with just few icons,

So............... lol.................THANKS!!!

This whole thing is just hilarous I was EXPECTING something that might hook into Amarok like Coverflow or something..but well ok....

By the By...............if anybody does plan to put this on a big screen t.v. mine is a 52 inch diagonal, it does WORK VERY WELL!!!! really, speaking of the previous version, it WORKED well, but was unstable on that system,

I've been seriously thinking about replacing the tried and true Klikit which STILL functions very well in and of itself... and I think I'll do it with Kubu and xbmc.

By the by, the "wave in the air" mice work very well with the system as does a wireless keyboard.

B) How I got xbmc installed was....synaptic. I had to install synaptic, and synaptic said, "You want xbmc? Ok, I can do that!"

One does have to have the xbmc backport to lucid etc. so the thread got that information out, but it was, apparently, Synaptic which pulled all the stuff together, I don't know why it didn't work with apt-get which usually does an outstanding job.

I'm not knocking Kpackagekit I think it, or a similar way of approaching the software, will be the future of package management.

Anyway guys, I apologize again for "hijacking" the thread, but the end result was, I think something that would help people. and it will continue on with coverflow I'm sure.

woodsmoke

Comment

One does have to have the xbmc backport to lucid etc. so the thread got that information out, but it was, apparently, Synaptic which pulled all the stuff together, I don't know why it didn't work with apt-get which usually does an outstanding job.
        Actually, synaptic, kpk etc actually use apt-get underneath the gui to do the work

Comment

Hi
          I quite realize that but i tried to get it to work with apt-get and almost immediately installed synaptic and there was the xbmc appy and it installed.

I had just previously typed apt-get install xbmc and it didn't work.

So..dunno

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi
            After all the nice help that folks offered on xbmc I thought I'd report back on my findings with it.

a) xbmc plays videos and music that is physically on the hard drive, although I cannot get to the music or video through the menu structure on xbmc. If I right click the vid/music and "play with" and navigate to it then it does play and sound works.

b) do not expect xbmc to magically produce better video than your card normally produces. The site says it will play crystal clear on a 52 inch t.v. or whatever, but you will have to have the right horsepower to do it. It seems to produce the same quality as vlc or whatever using full screen mode.

c) It will not play either music or a dvd for me using Meerkat. When I put a dvd in the drive the only option I get is to eject it. It does not recognize a cd at all.

Apparently this is a known bug, here is the thread discussing it at the xbmc forums.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=73574

d) the interface is very good and very polished, it "flows" well when moving between screens.

e) it does have built ins for a lot of online music and video stuff.

f) there is a weather applet which when you put in a zip code or town it will display current conditions and a prediction for the next day.

All in all a very nice development from what it was a while ago except for the bug on playing a dvd or cd.

woodsmoke

Comment

@woodsmoke: nice to see u got xbmc installed.. finally!
              closing the issue then..
              asus A52N
              Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
              AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
              windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Working...
              X