Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I gather that all of the previous artwork is.....gone...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I gather that all of the previous artwork is.....gone...

what it says

woodsmoke

Well, the Gallery we had in the old KFN was an add-on, and not part of SMF that the forum ran on. As to the contents of that Gallery, I believe they are still 'there', and it might be possible to make them available here. It could be researched.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welll, it isn't me...because my stuff is of little worth, but OTHERS have toiled tirelessly for the benefit of the distro.....and now....for them....as for moi... at other distros.....I had a long running story that garnered tens of thousands of views and it was all gone.... just gone...and the admins didn't really seem to care.

All of the work of the folks there, and here...was / is gone in the blink of an eye.

Not a good way to get off the mark with a new forum and expecting them to contribute again....not criticizing, because I've been involved in "making a forum", and several other online operations, and I know the heroic effort that has to be carried out by those involved...yourself included.

Just sayin'.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 17, 2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I've posted the question to our host, Open Source.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thankee
          woodmuchappreciativesmoke

Comment

I tend to keep my stuff. If there is anything you want me to repost, just ask. Literally have most art I've done going back to 2007.

Comment

I suppose there are always inherit risks when storing data in "the cloud". :P

Comment

why I stay away from the cloud and why I do have a lot of Backups of my stuff.

Comment

Perhaps people posting art here could also be persuaded (or asked to give permission) to sync with kubuntu-art.org?
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna View Post
                    I suppose there are always inherit risks when storing data in "the cloud". :P
                    Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                    why I stay away from the cloud and why I do have a lot of Backups of my stuff.
                    Um, *ahem* ... I, ah, know a thing or three about that thar cloud thang

KFN, existing on a single server as it did on SMF, can hardly be considered the cloud. A single copy of any piece of data is at higher risk of loss than multiple copies, regardless of whether it's stored on a server halfway around the world from you, or on a server in the basement of your building, or on a USB drive stuffed under your mattress.

Good cloud storage is measured in two attributes:

* availability -- can I get to my stuff when I want to?
                    * durability -- will my stuff be there when I want it?

Consider AWS S3 -- the Simple Storage Service from Amazon Web Services (I worked at AWS during 2009-2010). When you store an object in S3, the service automatically makes three copies of it and stores those copies in separate physical locations. This is all built in, you don't specifically have to write code or request it. The service continually runs integrity checks; if damage is detected to one of the copies, the service purges it and makes a new one.

Clouds can be built very well and they can be built extremely poorly. Any move to cloud computing, whether for compute or storage or both, should be done only after thorough research.

Comment

Yeah, the data should still be available. I can look into importing it someway.

Comment

Working...
                      X