• Time
  • Show
Clear All

pangolin or iguana

a pngolin wall
    adapted from
    http://good-wallpapers.com/pictures/...20Pangolin.jpg
    Attached Files

Why pangolin or iguana? A pangolin is one thing. An iguana is quite different.

A pangolin is fairly "smooth". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tree_Pangolin.JPG
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thats an iguana.

Comment

Nope - cameleon
        Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

welll any how i guess ill have to find the true animal . its a nice robot pic :-)

Comment

The folks over at openSUSE might like it!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This whole discussion is a very precise example of why it is considered very important that first form biology students be very precise in their responses to questions concerning a central tenet of biology that DNA is the "information storage molecule" and therefore provides the blueprints that make a pangolin different from a iguana which is different from a cameleon from a robot. Precision! we need more precision!!

woodsticklerforprecisionsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                This whole discussion is a very precise example of why it is considered very important that first form biology students be very precise in their responses to questions concerning a central tenet of biology that DNA is the "information storage molecule" and therefore provides the blueprints that make a pangolin different from a iguana which is different from a cameleon from a robot. Precision! we need more precision!!

woodsticklerforprecisionsmoke
                Precisely!!

Nice wallpaper
                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by starbear View Post
                  The 'robot' might be a good mascot for OpenSUSE after it gets assimilated by the Borg ("We are Borg Linux. Resistance is futile.")
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 17, 2012, 12:00 PM.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    ... we need more precision!!
                    An observation that has been frequently made is that of the evolution of science.

For almost 2,000 years math was stuck in Euclidean Geometry. Everything was described as lines, planes and solids, and expressed in ratios: AB is to EF as CD is to GH, etc..., where A and B were the endpoints of a line, etc.... Even limited to that it is amazing how Newton described his revolutionary three laws of motion in such terms. He was truly a genius. In the process, he developed fluxions and fluents; differential and integral calculus. His book on fluents was completed in 1671, and published in 1736. Meanwhile, Leibniz, nearly simultaneously, developed similar techniques, which are more closely related to what we used today than Newton's ideas, in 1673 and published them in 1684. Thus started the argument over who invented Calculus.

Regardless of who invented it, Calculus was the rocket that lifted mathematics, and man, off the Euclid's planet and cause the explosion in advances in Math, which are still going on. Such developments "trickled down" to Physics, and caused great advances in that field as well. The Physics advances "trickled down" to Chemistry, advancing that discipline. Advances in Chemistry "trickled down" to Biology, increasing its "precision" far beyond that of mere description and cataloging, and causing great advances to take place in that discipline as well.

Unfortunately, the "trickle down" seemed to have stopped there. The Psychological "sciences" have been hijacked by political influences on sociology.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thankee jonas.. I think...?

woodsmoke

Comment

I assume you mean me, but the link is to the forum front page.

And it was a joke.

wood

Comment

I think jorgea's post was a random bot post. It uses some key words from the forum - actually just the site URL - and has meaningful sentences - but is otherwise nothing whatever to do with this thread.

I'm tempted to report first posts like this and recommend to our esteemed admins that the accounts be banned.

And here's another one from today that feels exactly the same (and it included a possibly promotional link):
                          Originally posted by mLloyd
                          Hey you. Prompt is no good.
                          I mean it became a bit better than it used to be, but still not perfect. Google translator is the only solution to the problem like that.
                          I use it all the time.
                          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

I shall be vigilant!
                              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                              X