This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KubuntuBlue Bodyguard

Photobucket is being irritating again, trying to get people to pay premium so the size is oddball, if the woman looks odd for your configuration I'll uplopad another size.

Below is a reduced image

[img width=400 height=250]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/james5280/KubuntuBlueBodyguard.png[/img]

Below is the clickable link

woodsmoke

Re: KubuntuBlue Bodyguard

Great looking collage. Neat effects too.

Mind explaining how you made it?

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Hi Texaswriter, don't know that we have exchanged phosphors before so, glad to meet 'cha!

I use GIMP, and since I can't "draw" with it or do all that fancy stuff like somebody did for the KDE splash page, I do collages.

How I did it.
      a) I take a lot of pictures with my Android phone or camera and after a while one of them gives me some inspiration to do something with it. Usually, it relates in some way to a movie. The particular image is the one on bottom left, it is in a "nook" of the Life Sciences Technology building where I teach. It is not really how I thought it would come out, I first imagined two of them on either side of the screen.
      b) watch a movie that I like that is inspired by the picture, this one was The Bodyguard, that has Kevin Costner and some great music.
      c) while watching the movie I get random images in my little pea sized brain that i might be able to put together, design type stuff also, what image should go where.
      d) look for similar images at Wikimedia Commons so I don't have to worry about copyright restrictions.
      e) I then use the various tools and filters, such as maybe "clothify" and "colorize" to alter the colour of the image, that is about all that I can say because each situation is different.

The one recommendation I would make is to save, save, save, after each "step" that you have made where you like the situation. That way if you go through two more steps and all of a sudden don't like it you can go back tot he previous stage.

This is NOT the same as "undo", some things like the text boxes have to be "flattened" onto the image so that it isn't interacting with other text boxes. I know that it is not supposed to happen but it does.

so saving each "step" saves a lot of headaches. i just name them blue 01, blue 02, blue 03 etc. and put them in a folder.

f) you will have to pick an image size for the wallpaper that is compatible with acceptable file sizes where you host the image and also that will not "distort" too much for "most" people that might put it on their desktop.

The worst thing that distorts in a percievable way is the human face/body. so, distorting it ahead of time will help on that.

g) try to keep important things about a half inch or more, (a couple of centimeters" from the lower edge especially because the panel is down there.

Just as a "design thing" I try to keep at least the left side kind of "clear" because people that have icons on the desktop "tend" to put them to the left. but Kubu users don't worry about that much because of the plasma desktop.

That is about all I can say, not trying to hide a secret or anything, it also hepls to read GIMP tutorials, and then just experiment.

ASIDE:

Here is ONE thing that is desperately needed for desktops in Linus in general.

Linux in general needs a relatively large supply of GOOD, non-erotic, high definiton pictures of people, expecially "women" in various poses, especially the face, hand etc.

About the only human images available are "biker" or "sword weilder" or for the guys a soldier etc. but there is not "enough" of them so that somebody could use the image and somebody else not recognize it easily.

Also needed are some good, high definition images of precisely that in men, soldiers, space people, barbarians, etc.

hope this helps a little.

woodsmoke

Comment

Excellent work, woodsmoke.

Originally posted by woodsmoke
        my little pea sized brain
        You underestimate yourself!

Linux in general needs a relatively large supply of GOOD, non-erotic, high definiton pictures of people, expecially "women" in various poses, especially the face, hand etc.
        Did you see the pic I posted over in the music thread?

Comment

Photobucket is being irritating again, trying to get people to pay premium so the size is oddball, if the woman looks odd for your configuration I'll uplopad another size.

Below is a reduced image

[img width=400 height=250]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/james5280/KubuntuBlueBodyguard.png[/img]

Below is the clickable link

woodsmoke
          Oh, sorry, my mistake. I meant how did you make *that* picture.

Thanks for your philosophy though too. The collage really does look great.

Comment

SR thank you but I don't know that it is deserved as to the picture....yes I saw it but it isn't well....exactly that to which I was referring.

texas writer.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood, if you mean..."the top image" above it is the default one provided by photobucket now, one has to go to the "share" to get the clickable link.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X